News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Bulldoze Youngstown???

Started by Towntalk, June 13, 2009, 12:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

I've said pretty much the same thing on this board multiple times
before - the city has over twice the built infrastructure that will
need anytime in the forseeable future.

Many of the homes, buildings and some streets need to be removed
from the map altogether.  The idea of maintaining gas, water, electric
lines, pavement curbs and sidewalks, etc. on a street with only one
or two houses left on it is not a realistic one.

Rick Rowlands

If such a proposal was floated for Youngstown (We should be among the 50 city trial) this would perhaps be the best thing that could happen.  We're already doing this but on a much smaller scale and without any rhyme or reason, mainly becuase of out of touch EPA regulations.   There are sections of the south side and east side that should be closed off completely, demolished and returned to nature. 

I would want to make sure that there are no restrictions on future development of the cleared land though.  I could see environmental groups pushing for permanent restriction on thsi cleared land to prohibit future development.  But such a move would be counterproductive since it woudl cause future development to sprawl even further away from the city.

Rick Rowlands

Bull! We can't even close an underutilized library in this town without a bunch of people whining and complaining!

Why?Town

As the populations grew, the cities grew. More houses, more stores, etc.

As the populations shrinks, the cities should shrink accordingly.

It would make more sense to eliminate entire sections as opposed to a house over here and a house over there.  If you do a whole section you can eliminate the roads, sidewalks, the utilities and any associated costs.

ytowner