News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Shrinking City Council

Started by jay, June 02, 2009, 09:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

If Youngstown went to five wards, which two councilmen would be bumped out? 

Example
Would the current first ward councilman continue as the councilman of the new first ward? 

rusty river

Council and the wards should have been restructured after the 2000 census when it was discovered that the population was no longer equally distributed within the seven boundaries. But i guess local politics takes precedent over federal laws and regulations. Council has been functioning illegally for ten years.

john r. swierz

There's and old saying " be careful what you wish for"

Why?Town

I don't live in the city so my opinion doesn't count but I don't understand how having fewer wards (with more people in each) would "make the council reps more accountable to their constituents".

I'm also not sure that wanting to downsize safety forces justifies downsizing council. Maybe it does, but it just seems petty to me.

iwasthere

yes this is a good move it will make the council reps more accountable to their constituents. i would endorse one rep from each side of town and one at large with the stipulation that it is a full-time job not as pt job like delivery papers after school. the current council want to downsize the safety forces in pay and in ranks likewise the city council.

jay

There is a movement in Youngstown to reduce city council from seven wards to five wards.

Would this be a good move for the governance of the city?