News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown Trash Rates Going Up

Started by jay, May 08, 2009, 02:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Jay, I might be mistaken but some of the blame rests with the State and Federal EPA regulations.

jay

The city does not operate its own trash collection service.  The Waste Management Company is contracted to provide this service within the city.

It has been reported that the trash fees are being increased in anticipation of a possible increase by Waste Management.

------------------
With the continuing decline in the city's population, one would think the need for trash service should be declining each year.

AllanY2525

I can only guess here, but I think the following would all be valid
reasons for raising the trash rates:

1) Loss of tax revenue
2) Inreases in fuel costs
3) Increases in dumping fees
4) Maintenance on the city's trash trucks
5) Increases in costs associated with payroll and any benefits

iwasthere

what are the reason(s) that current mayor's adminstration and the present council have for the increase?

john r. swierz

Until the city(government and citizens) can reverse the trend of residents and business' moving out, and  the government can get increases in income taxes( the life blood of revenue) these types are necessary.
I understand that none of us want to see these types( or any) increases, but costs keep increasing and WE all have to understand  that we must pay.  I personally support these increases first as a resident and secondly as a Council member.
        There are citizens out there that feel that government can operate more efficiently, and that they can cut costs across the board. To those citizens I toss out a challenge to ORGANIZE. Form a group and
study how our government is currently operating and identify  and recommend realistic solutions.

jay

Beginning July 1, 2009, the trash fee will increase from $11.75 to $13.75 per month.

On January 1, 2010 the rate will increase to $14.75.

On January 1, 2011 the monthly trash rate will increase to $15.75 per month.

So within an eighteen month period your trash fee will be increased by $4.00 per month ($48.00 per year) or 34%.

Towntalk

What is the new rate, or is it a deep dark secret?

iwasthere

all council reps voted for the hike. i was not at the finance meeting. i do not what was said about this hike. one can go on whats happening to see and hear what was said in the finance meeting on this topic.

jay

The trash rates in Youngstown are going up.