News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Unusual South Side Building *

Started by jay, March 07, 2009, 05:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

The building shows the address 75 West Myrtle and 1309 Oak Hill – Sheet 230 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map 1928 [South East Corner of Oak Hill and West Myrtle.]

Towntalk

That is very possable, but as can be seen from the sign on the tower, when it was first built it was a Hi Speed gas station.

As seen from an earlier post, Hi Speed merged with Pure Oil and it's very possable that through the years it went through a number of reincarnations.

I will check the Sanborn Fire Insurance maps to see what was on that corner back in the 1920's about the time Hi Speed was in business.

Note the two bays on the side of the building.

sfc_oliver

According to My older Sister and 2 brothers, yes back in the 60's that was a Lawsons. No one knows when it was built or when it became something else. Though for a while it belonged to Fish Samaritin house. (According to one brother.)
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Why?Town

North East corner Oakhill and Myrtle

sfc_oliver

From the parking lot and the size of the building I would almost bet that is the old Lawsons my sister worked at in the Mid 60's. where on Oak hill is that I haven't been there in years. I'll ask her
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Mike

Here's a Hi-Speed gas station in Detroit.. It's gone now.

http://www.onlyclassics.com/p975.jpg

northside lurker

It looks like an old gas/service station.  But I'd like to know the real answer if anyone knows.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

Can anyone tells us the history of this unusual south side building which is located on Oak Hill Avenue?