News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Christmas Gifts From Youngstown

Started by jay, November 29, 2008, 05:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Don't be sorry Rusty because it would be a very sorry world if we all agreed in everything. In fact I for one wouldn't want to live in a world where I was forced to either follow the pack or else.

When people are forced into silence for the sake of conformity we are no better off that the people who lived in Nazi Germany, the USSR or Communist China.

By the way, may I take this opportunity to wish you and your family best wishes during this the Winter Solstice (I'm being political correct here.)

Towntalk

If we were to follow the old Roman traditions, then rather than go to midnight services after dropping of the kids with a babysitter, go celebrate at our favorit pub and get falling down drunk and spend Christmas Day nursing a hangover.

There's no question that liquor has a place at Christmas: Fruit Cake soaked in Brandy; Egg Nog with Brandy; the Wassel Bowl.

There are Christma gifts and there are thoughtless gifts, and a six pack regardless of where it is made is really thoughtless ... as thoughtless as giving Uncle Joe a can of his favorit pipe tobacco and a new pipe, or Aunt Sue a carton of cigarettes.

Towntalk

Maybe it's my upbringing that comes into play when it comes to booze as a Christmas gift.

Isn't there a store downtown that makes up Christmas fruit baskets? I seem to recall that there was one on West Federal just a couple of doors west of Phelps Street, yet I don't hear anyone mentioning it.

Both Sparkles and Giant Eagle make up gift fruit baskets that are reasonably priced.

Buy the way --- please don't forget to contribute to the Salvation Army Kettle Drive. Dig deep and give as often as possable.

Why?Town

About 10 years ago I was trying to figure out what to get my 84 yr old grandfather for Christmas. After scratching my head for way too long, I decided to get him a 12 pack. I wrapped it really nice then cut out the handle holes and since it was bottles it had that distinctive 12 pack shape. It was such a hit I ended up getting him another one for his birthday in August.  This tradition continued until this Christmas. Fortunately he's still kickin', he just doesn't have a fridge at the nursing home.

And for anyone that's concerned about the old guy drinking too much, there were a few times his birthday gift wasn't completely gone by Christmas.

FWIW, I think Jesus would prefer wine.

Towntalk

Sarge

Some folks are a real humbug.

And Jay, with all due rspect, do you think that Jesus would appreciate a 6 pack of beer as a birthday present?

I've no objection to beer as such, but really what kind of gift would that be.

I'm all for buying locally, but beer is not on most folks shopping list for Christmas.

jay

Rust Belt Brewing has been added to the list.

iwasthere

please encourage her to do so. people in this valley wants kmart blue light specials for any self made items but they will not question the prices on that chinese garbage that is shoved down the consumers thoats. >:(

sfc_oliver

Quote from: iwasthere on November 28, 2009, 10:12:31 PM
do not forget about the local artisans and their products.

My wife used to make enough items to go to 2 or 3 Christmas bazaars each year. ( She is a certified Ceramics instructor and we have a complete ceramics shop in the house) But she quit because so many people wanted to make a deal on her prices. I keep hoping she'll decide to get back into it. I did a Halloween themed craft table last year at the Farm market on 224 east of Poland. But again people wanted the items for less than we had in them.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

iwasthere

do not forget about the local artisans and their products.

Rick Rowlands

I am working on a shadowbox containing all the ingredients of steelmaking and a piece of Youngstown made steel.  I'm still putting together the prototype, but expect to have some ready to sell in a couple of weeks.  This will be a limited edition since I only have a limited number of pieces of 1/2" pipe with the word "Youngstown" embossed on it. 

I do have the books "What we Make and How We Make it" reprint from YS&T and "Tod Engine, Saving a Youngstown Landmark" available.  I am going to try to make all of our Youngstown steel related products available at the Youngstown Historical Center of Industry and Labor after YSU assumes control of the site.   There are a few other Youngstown steelmaking related items which will be added later.

jay

We're always looking for gift items Made In Youngstown.

If you know of other products, please list them here.

jay

I'll add links as I find them.

Please help the local economy by purchasing gifts Made In Youngstown.

jay

If you have to give a gift for Christmas, give a gift from Youngstown.

Suggestions

Local restaurant gift certificates

Defend Youngstown T-shirts
defendyoungstown.com

Hello From Youngstown T-shirts
contact artistelynn@sbcglobal.net

2010 Wall Calendar
contact artistelynn@sbcglobal.net

Books about Youngstown from the Mahoning Valley Historical Society
648 Wick Avenue
Youngstown, Ohio  44502
www.mahoninghistory.org