News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

New Population Figure For Youngstown

Started by jay, July 10, 2008, 10:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I would also like to know how a city's population is arrived at beyond the census taken every ten years. Given all the factors that come into play ... births ... deaths ... people moving in ... people moving out the census would have to be taken every year to even come close to what could be considered "official".

It seems to me that when references to population are given between the official census, the figures are estimates based on trends and should not be considered as factual because so much depends upon a factual count ... our representation in Congress ... state and Congressional districting ... various state and federal programs to name a few.

jay

No one knows the exact population of the city on any given day.

My observation is that many people are moving out of the city and many are dying (the death factor).  In my neighborhood, a family of three moved away last week.  An older female neighbor died earlier in the year.  Another widow had to be placed in a nursing home (outside the city).  My neighborhood alone has lost 5 residents since the beginning of the year.

ytowner

That's BS.. We did not lose 10,000 people in 2 years... The news report used the simple decline % for the past 50 years to figure that out Jay..

jay

I heard a news report today stating the population of the city of Youngstown has dropped to about 72,000.