News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

GM Volt A Valley Concept Car

Started by Towntalk, July 06, 2008, 02:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

All things taken into consideration, I don't know what its going to take for the public to wake up to the fact that the price of gas is not going to go down. Here we pay almost $4.00 a gallon for regular, and that's a bargen compared to what people are paying in other parts of the country.

Sit down and figure what you pay for gas each week, and then a year. If you are a two car family that total surely must eat up a big chunk of your budget. In this light, a Volt makes absolutely good sense.

AllanY2525

Towntalk -RIGHT ON POINT with that one !!

And as gas continues to skyrocket, GM is only going to see increased sales for
the Cobalt, which (i.m.h.o.) is a DAMN sharp little car....

:)

One of my room mates has a friend that just bought a Cobalt where I live in MD,
and he absolutely loves it.

Towntalk

Now there is an idea to promote sales. Buy a Volt and get the panel thrown in. With the proper promotion by GM, its dealers, and the press including car magazines, this car could be another Cobalt for GM.

AllanY2525

Not be able to afford it?  Hmmm...let's see... the article says it costs about 80 cents worth
of electricity to get a 40 mile drive out of the vehicle.....this would offset a higher purchase
price when compared head to head with a traditional gasoline powered vehicle at current fuel
prices - now think about what gas is going to cost by NEXT summer....the savings increases
even more.

I think G.M. will be wise enough to make this car affordable enough to encourage folks to
become early adopters of the technology.

I hope they will consider developing a solar panel array that can be used to charge the
vehicle - this would reduce the re-fueling cost for the vehicle to ZERO on days when there
is sufficient sunlight to charge the battery.

Solar cell technology has advanced considerably in recent years, allowing for less expensive
solar panels.  I have a panel I bought for my R.V. at home, which produces 10 Amps of current
in full sunlight, at 14 Volts (to charge a conventional car or marine battery) and I only paid
$99 for the solar panel - complete with charging regulator circuit built in.

ytowner

Too bad those in our area won't be able to afford it like they do the Cobalt. We could've really become an area that is run on electricity/hybrids!

O well, nice design.

Towntalk

The Mahoning Valley has every right to be proud of the new GM Volt that was designed by one of our own.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2008/jul/06/poland-native-heads-team-designing-electric-car/