News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Renewable Energy Plan

Started by irishbobcat, May 15, 2008, 11:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

San Francisco has been using hybrid buses for years..

I last saw them in 2001.  WRTA could use such a tactic
to lower their fuel costs considerably.  Solar energy could
be used to charge their electrical batteries, as well as
the output of their [SMALLER] diesel engines.

jay

In my example above, I forgot to mention the PV panels could be used to generate electricity to charge the batteries of electric cars belonging to the residents of the neighborhood.

For transportation we need to use the WRTA and have personal vehicles which don't use petroleum based fuels.

irishbobcat

Towntalk:

Whenever you, Jay, and others want to attend a city council meeting to light a fire under them, let me know, and I'll come with you.
Living in Struthers, I don't know if I am allowed to address council, but I would be willing to put together information sheets for you and others to present to Council.

Sincerely,

Dennis Spisak

Towntalk

I really hate to say it, but before we can get Ryan and the state delegates off the dime, we're going to have to light a bondfire under them.

As for city officials are concerned, they have a very valid role to play, BUT we can not expect them to foot the bill themselves Jay. Aren't you aware of the fact that the city is as close to being broke as it can be? So where is all that money going to come from? More taxes? I'm sure that Ytownnewsandviews can put that idea to rest.

Here's a recommendation that I hardly think anyone will follow.

As you will recall, in past posts I told how my hometown went about getting not one but three Ethanol plants that are now up and running.

Why don't we petition City Council to pay a visit to Clearfield and see just how a town of about 9000 managed to pull this feat off and try to get an Ethanol plant here?

I know all the arguments about Ethanol but at least it would be a start, and if we could push them this far, then we could push them to go for bigger things.

The bottom line is that in order to get local politicians to do anything constructive, you have to fight for your cause, make life miserable for them, and bombard them with mail. Let them know that this is a major issue with you that you will consider at election time.

We can and should discuss the issue here, but that alone will not bring about change.

irishbobcat

Jay:

One could argue no politicians from this area support renewable energy. We see no federal dollars coming from Mr. Ryan to help install or allow for Research and Development at YSU for such projects.

We see no state dollars coming from Mr. Hagan, Mr. Gerberry, Senator Cafaro, and Senator Boccheri. I guess they believe the hype that
renewable energy can not work in the valley, but is starting to take off in other parts of Ohio.

And we have local governments who have brownfields galore where the steel mills once stood. Any not one local government has an official promoting renewable energy.

That is why i am running as the Independent Green Party Candidate for State Representative. Renewable energy is the only hop we have in rescuing us from higer gas prices.

If not know, when?

Dennis Spisak

campaign web-site: http://votespisak.tripod.com

jay

Are any councilmen in Youngstown pushing for alternative energy?  I believe the city government could play a role in providing the infrastructure for alternative energy in neighborhoods.

Example
The city should secure a vacant lot in an otherwise intact neighborhood.   A suitable structure to hold PV panels could then be constructed on the lot.  Neighbors could then invest in the project by purchasing PV panels and having the panels installed on the structure.  This method would avoid the problem of trying to attach PV panels to an existing home which may not have a roof suitably oriented toward the sun.

irishbobcat

A Renewable Energy Initiative for the 60th District

May 16, 2008

As the Independent Green Party Candidate for State Representative for the 60th District, I believe it's time to call for a Renewable Energy initiative for our valley.  Over the past century we have created a world dependent on oil.

There are many ways to create energy. True, at this time there is nothing to date that equals the power of oil but there are new advancements in solar, wind, and geothermal technologies that are pushing the envelope on the potential or renewable energy. There will be a solution to the decline of oil only when state legislative leaders like myself and the general public make the decision to be part of the solution.

I am proposing that the 60th district organize a renewable energy initiative to encourage energy conservation, energy efficiency practices, and to promote the use of renewable energy in homes businesses, and industry.

My initiative would have four goals:

1.Reduce barriers to the use of renewable energy by providing education and assistance to help citizens plan their energy futures.

2.Reduce the costs of renewable energy and energy efficiency products by negotiating with manufacturers, retailers, and trades people.

3.Reduce the installation costs of renewable energy by using a neighbor helping neighbor approach and by participating with local trades people.

4.Help citizens practice energy conservation by forming an energy assessment and action planning process.

As an Independent Green Party Candidate, I can work to help to bring renewable energy to the valley because I will not accept lobbyists or corporate PACS from the oil industry like current State Representative Bob Hagan does.

Dennis Spisak-Independent Green Party Candidate for State Representative-60th District

Campaign web-site: Http://votespisak.tripod.com