News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Streetcars

Started by Elmo-Ytown, May 12, 2008, 03:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elmo-Ytown

Both Columbus and Cincinnati are in in the process of installing a streetcar line in between their main university and their downtown, maybe this is something Youngstown should look at doing. The line could run from the corner of Wick and Commerce west to Fifth, and then north on Fifth to the stadium. These two streets would be ideal because they are both pretty wide. Another possibility would be to use Fifth and Front streets.

jay

The Niles Car Company actually manufactured streetcars in the Mahoning Valley.  I believe its former manufacturing building still exists in Niles, Ohio.  I'm sure a Niles Car is in a museum somewhere.

Elmo-Ytown

Thanks, in the last photo, is that the Central Square Library in the background?

Elmo-Ytown

I know some groups preserve old streetcars, are any of Youngstowns streetcars being preserved anywhere, or do any of them still exist somewhere? (Secret city warehouse full of cool old things? lol)

jay

Check this website for some additional streetcar photos from the Youngstown and Southern.
http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr183.htm

jay

I just found this photo on the internet.  I believe this station was located on East Front Street.  The tall building in the background may have been the Republic Steel office building.

BTW - The Republic Steel office building was stripped by vandals and eventually demolished.  As so often happens, the city did nothing to protect this building.

Elmo-Ytown

Here is a picture I found online.

Elmo-Ytown

Do you remember the title or author? Maybe I can find it at the library.

jay

A few years ago I borrowed a book about shreetcars from a friend.  Part of the book detailed the streetcar system of Youngstown.  All of the street routes were listed.  It also contained many photos of streetcars.

jay

Walk along Federal Plaza West.  Some of the old photos attached to the front of the buildings have streetcars in the scene.

Elmo-Ytown

Does anyone know where I can find pictures with Youngstown streetcars in them?