News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Suggestions For Downtown Events

Started by jay, January 08, 2008, 08:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

A parade similar to Mardi Gras
Prior to the day of the parade, each bar would be responsible for creating a float.  Discount food tokens could be distributed from the floats during the parade.

Towntalk

It wouldn't make any sense to duplicate events that are held elsewhere in the valley.

One idea would be a series of film festivals at Powers that would be sponsored by the downtown restaurants that would have tie-ins at their establishments for the events.

There should be three films shown over the events, one each evening - Example: Friday: "The Sound of Music", Saturday, "My Fair Lady" and Sunday "The King and I". The theme of the festival would be "The Very Best of Broadway", and having a different film each evening would be an incentive to bring folks downtown for all three films. Hopefully the films could be in 70MM.

As to the restaurant tie-ins, special menus could be arranged that would fit the festival theme.

Another festival could present Acadamy Awards films from the past, and there might be four film festivals per year.

Patrons could purchase a book of tickets that would cover the whole weekend in advance that would include money off coupons for the restaurants sponsoring the event.

jay

The public should be invited to bring events to downtown Youngstown.  One or more events should be happening every day of the week.  Small events could be confined to a specific area.  As much as possible, large events should take place throughout the downtown so that all the businesses could benefit.

northside lurker

My hometown, Massillon, closes down their main street every Saturday afternoon/evening during the summer for a car show.  Cars diagonally park along the curb, and the middle of the street is open to pedestrians.  Businesses are encouraged to stay open to serve the crowd.  There are hundreds of people at each of these weekly events.  However, the first car show of the season is very large.  There is an entire side street dedicated to food vendors.  There are 2 stages.  At the end of the evening, there is a fireworks show.  This event draws thousands! (Shoulder to shoulder for five blocks, and one block to each side of the main street!)

Basically, I'm not suggesting we try to compete with the show held at Southern Park Mall every Saturday, but maybe we could have a single, large event?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

The new Federal Plaza Director is often a visitor to this forum.  Now is our chance to give him some suggestions.

List some events you would like to see in downtown Youngstown.