News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

I've had ENOUGH

Started by Jaime Hughes, July 22, 2007, 10:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Could it be because his secretary thought that you might be out to take him for his money that she was the way she was?

It would be helpful if you had a pamphlet that explained the what and why's of your project that had a note from the Mayor in it that you could be able to make available.

Armed with the blessings of the city, it would also be helpful in any contacts with YPD.

This is a historical designated area that is on the 2010 plan so there should be no question about sprucing the area up, and you would think that VanSickles secretary, knowing that you were not out to make money at her bosses expense would be glad that you were mowing the lawn and planting flowers at your own expense since if the city were to do it, he would get a hefty bill.

Jaime Hughes

I have recieved calls from everywhere in the city....I just got off the phone with nuisance abatement and the Demolition Control...both confirmed the house is NOT on the demo. list. Anyway.... I am marching into tomorrow to make an appointment to meet with the Mayor, it is important that I speak to him about this.

As for VanSickles receptionist, she was almost offended that we had called her about the house, I dont know if she realized that it was in THAT bad of condition? She asked what OUR intentions were and why we were cleaning it up. We told her that there are drug addicts living in that house, and there are young children around, a lot play in Wick Park, and there are little girls that live next door, that threw our endeavors with this house have gotten to meet them and get to know them and their parents.

She was a little more accepting when we said that it was a hazard that druggies were living there with young kids always in that area. The issue is that VanSickle is in the hospital because he is very ill, there may be no way that we are able to get ahold of him and figure this out. Now I'm stuck!!

Shar

Jamie...I would keep pushing the City.  I am amazed that they (the City)seem to take no interest in what was in its day, the most beautiful part of Youngstown.  The area around Wick park was the grand mansions of the city in the early 1900's.  Other cities treasure their historic districts but Youngstown officials don't seem to care about ours.  I don't know what else to suggest.

Was his receptionist preferring to see the house get stripped rather than having you take care of it??

Jaime Hughes

He does own those three yes- He owns the Illinois Manor, the Covington House and 259 Park Avenue. The Park Avenue home used to be a halfway house before turning into his offices for his businesses.

We called his business on Mahoning Avenue, his receptionist was very snippy and didn't like the idea of us caring for these houses. She said that Mr. Van Sickle is very ill and in the hospital, so now what?

I also contacted the Mayor and will set up a meeting with him soon.

Shar

I checked on the Mahoning County website for the owner of this property and Robert Van Sickle owns three historic homes on the North Side.  It looks like there are tax liens on all three of them...the taxes have not been paid by him.  It also looks like all three of them have been used as group homes.  I don't see any evidince of Mr. Van Sickle owning a home in the area that he might actually live in.  It's a shame that these historic properties can be milked by irresponsible owners for every last dollar and then left to rot with no regard for the historic value of the homes and the Youngstown area.  I wish there was a way to hold the owners in these cases responsible for the damage that they create by abandoning these homes. 

northside lurker

Don't give up yet... I would at least see what the owner has to say.

The cop's attitude is unfortunate.  But, to him, this is probably just another abandoned house. (one of hundreds in the city)  If the owner doesn't care enough to report the crime himself, why should he (the cop) care?

This is why I say it's important to become better acquainted with the owner.  Next time, you can tell the cop you have the owner's permission to be there.  Then you don't have to worry about being accused of tresspassing, yourself.  You are representing the owner. (I don't know if this approach has any legal weight, but it seems logical to me.)

I'll still give you a call tonight, after work.  I'm free tonight, tomorrow, and Wednesday night.  I won't be available Thursday, Friday, or Saturday.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Jaime Hughes

I think that I will be start going to the northside farmers market....were going to make flyers, pass them out to college kids, business owners...everyone.

As for this week, what does the weather look like on Wednesday? I may call a short get together in Wick Park, just to discuss some things...possibly we can walk over to that house afterwards? There are many things I need to discuss.

Today I am contacting the Mayor, City Hall, Tim Ryan, and the owner of the house.

The thing that makes me even more mad..is the YPD officer felt it was a joke, he walked out of his car..looked around, talked to YSUPD and left....didnt even bother to walk inside.

Corey and I tried to secure the house as much as possible with the suspicious cars and that going by, hopefully...that can somewhat deter the house itself getting robbed (the basement and house are seperate.). We even told a YSUPD that we were boarding up the house, he asked if we knew the owner.,,,and we said well somewhat, were concerned citizens and caretakers of the property, he didn tseem to mind, but didnt care to lend a hand when we heard noises coming from inside.

I talked to the neighbors of this house, and they are concerned as well. They are very nice people whom also love this city, the one women has a 2 year old daughter and said that she does not want those kind of people lerking around outside. I can't say that I blame her.

Like I said, I want to know what everyone here thinks! Call me. Do you think this is worth pursuing as a project? Think I should give up?

jay

Jaime,
The North Side Farmers' Market operates each Saturday until mid-September.  The market might also be a good location to find north side residents to help you protect these houses.

Mary

I do have to agree with townstalk about most of the police force. Jamie i would be willing to also help in what ever way i could.

Towntalk

The simple fact of the matter is that the people of Youngstown can no longer trust YPD ... a MAJOR VOTE OF NO CONFIDENCE, and if we can't trust them, why should people living in other communities. They certainly are not earning our respect!

Is it any wonder why there's so much crime in Youngstown? It leads me to ask if these flat feet aren't being paid off by the drug dealers.

There's absolutely no excuse for their actions, none whatsoever.

As for the Chief flatfoot, it's obvious that he couldn't care less so long as none of his boys don't rock the boat.

Jaime Hughes

That is HORRIBLE. Thats basically what they said to us when we asked them to check out the noises coming from inside the house. What made things worse was they labeled us with "Trespassing" just like the crackheads inside were doing, it was just a real bummer only because we were trying to help the city, and they were hurting the city...yet we are painted with the same brush.

Jay...Does the North Side Farmers market meet every Saturday? Only on certain Saturdays? I may call just like a small...emergency meeting sometime this week just to form some sort of plan.

If anyone has any ideas etc...please call me.

PS...We went back to the house today, the basement door was busted in, and a window was open... small thing slike this we notice because we are there daily. I am calling the owner, and mayor tomorrow because this is unacceptable. I believe that they need to have more strict guidelines in our area when owning a historical house....or living in the historical district. As we were there... the same suspicious car from the other night circled the house as we cleaned up, a cop ALSO circled the house and watched us board up the front door and backdoor.

shantrivialand

That is totally ridiculous that the cops didn't do anything.  A few months back my friend had her car stolen from the preschool where she was dropping her kids.  About a week later someone called and said they found her keys.  She had the cops meet her at the address the caller specified.  Cop told her he wasn't knocking on the door or helping her get her keys because it was a known crackhouse.  She had no choice to knock herself because she wanted her keys and to find out where her car was.  Cop left her there to fend for herself.  27 years old and pregnant.  He just left.  What a waste.

jay

Just a suggestion

The group could meet at the North Side Farmers' Market, Elm at Illinois, on Saturday between 9 and noon.  The market sets up some tables and chairs under the trees in front of the Unitarian Church. 

Jaime Hughes

I dont believe that 259 is on the Demolition list quite yet. But then again I could be wrong. I have done my homework on this house and feel that it should be salvaged if anything.  Many realtors have called me about this house because they have a lot of people that are interested in it, as well as investing money into it. Many have told me that money is no issue and that they are willing to give into this house.

Maybe we can all meet this week sometime .... in the park or somewhere nice and discuss what we can do? What does everyone think of a small meeting? I hope to recieve quite a few phone calls from all of you! Let me know what you all think.

Again, my number is 330-550-6959.

northside lurker

Although it doesn't quite apply to the house in question here, have you read this from the "Tales from the North Side" blog?

http://talesfromnorthside.blogspot.com/2007/07/homesteading-in-youngstown.html

This doesn't apply to 259 Park Ave, because the owner is still private, and their property taxes are still current.  I wonder if the city or county could put something like this in place for houses that have been taken by the city, and are on its demolition list?

While many houses on the city's demo list were just mill housing of no great historical importance, houses like 259 Park are also on the demo list, and they should be saved, instead.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison