News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Bottom Dollar Stores Closing

Started by Towntalk, November 06, 2014, 08:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Jay, you are the one who is a one man chamber of commerce for the West Side, so why wouldn't you want to see a full service grocery store in the Mahoning Plaza? Your own Councilman is quite upset over the news about Bottom Dollar, yet you seem to think it's fine and dandy news.
I don't live on the West Side, and I do patronize local grocery stores as well as the Churchill Commons Giant Eagle, and we here on Midlothian Blvd. are blessed to have a nearby Sparkle Market and a Save-A-Lot. True, the Sparkle store is in Boardman, but the South Avenue Save-A-Lot is inside the city.

jay

A Save-A-Lot store is located only a few miles away in the Wedgewood Plaza.   If people are perfectly willing to drive out of Youngstown to buy groceries, why would a grocery store locate inside the city and then have to pay one of the highest income taxes in the state.

Towntalk

PD

I'm doubtful on Nememz going anywhere in the City
The grocery store unions have made his life miserable with their harassment
He almost went to the old giant eagle in cornersburg but the unions threatened him

Towntalk

Thanks.
Given that the Bottom Dollar story is still breaking news, I'm sure that the Plaza owners already know about it and will start working to fill the unit ASAP. A Save-A-Lot would be a good fit. Let's all hope that a new full service grocery will go in there soon. Maby Henry Nemenz could be contacted to put an IGA store there.

joly1584

TT-answering your question about who owns the Mahoning Plaza

The Mahoning County Auditor website says it is owned by Mahoning Plaza LP, a limited liabilty partnership.

Doing a Google search the primary partner of th partnership is Schreiber Company in Pittsburgh.  They are a real estate management company.

Towntalk

The big question as I see it is why the Mahoning Avenue corridor can not seem to maintain support for a full service supermarket within the city limits. Certainly the population is there, and at one time it had several full service grocery stores between Wesley and the Mahoning Plaza. Mahoning Avenue is a main corridor within the city so one would think that given all of the dynamics that the area possesses, that it would be an ideal location for any number of businesses including a full service grocery store.

By the way, since the Mahoning Plaza is owned by a private developer, don't you think that they are going to want the unit currently occupied by Bottom Dollar filled ASAP. Does anyone know who owns the Mahoning Plaza?

jay

The store on Glenwood Avenue was built on the location of the former Fosterville Playground and the former Cleveland School.

Towntalk

The property itself by golly by gosh.

Peggy Gurney

Yep I read the article.
I hope he can get it back.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

That's the only one that the city has any monitary interest in.
Mayor John McNally said he has been speaking with the city's law department, because he wants to re-gain control of the space on Glenwood and replace it.
"The preference is a grocery store," McNally said. "We'll work on that end, but we're going to be contacting Bottom Dollar to try to make arrangements to get that property back."

Peggy Gurney

They're all closing, but he is only interested in regaining the Glenwood location.

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

According to the MAYOR, ONLY the Glenwood Ave. location, and he id going to try to get that property back.

Towntalk

Who wodda thunk ... the West Side? Golly, a food desert? I know that there are those West Siders who speak out against shoppin' in the suburbs so we can suggest that those who wanna keep their jack in the city that they can do their grocery shoppin' at the Union Square Save-A-Lot if'n they live too far away from Cornersburg Sparkle.

Peggy Gurney

Mahoning Ave area.  Their closest groceries are out on the west side of Austintown (Giant Eagle and Walmart) and south to Cornersburg (Sparkle).
The Santisi IGA closed not long after Bottom Dollar opened.
~ Normal is overrated ~