News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

New School For Gifted Children

Started by Towntalk, August 26, 2014, 01:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

my Italian cousin was advised by her school counselor to take up several languages while in h.s. in which she is now employed in the Italian diplomat corp.

AllanY2525

I took Spanish at Rayen high school, then tried it out on a 15 day field trip to
Spain in the tenth grade.

Towntalk

Young people in European countries quickly pick up several languages while here in the States most only are conversant in one or two at most.

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: iwasthere on August 27, 2014, 12:05:52 PM
pg a second language is a grt asset to ones being. you learn not only the lang but their culture and their history. i took latin i hsfor two yrs in which it helped me in my fr and it. this was another way i met new frds with new fun. i met two wonderful new frds while studying slovak with other frds.
I do agree that it can be a great asset. I also approve of learning a second language IF one chooses to do so.
But I maintain that it should not be a requirement.

~ Normal is overrated ~

iwasthere

pg a second language is a grt asset to ones being. you learn not only the lang but their culture and their history. i took latin i hsfor two yrs in which it helped me in my fr and it. this was another way i met new frds with new fun. i met two wonderful new frds while studying slovak with other frds. 

Towntalk

When we were living on Bryson Street next to Ursuline, there was a private school for gifted children a couple of doors down from our apartment building. If I'm not mistaken part of its name was Kennedy.

Peggy Gurney

I think this is a wonderful concept but I disagree that the children should be required to learn a foreign language.

~ Normal is overrated ~