News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Home Mail Delivery

Started by Towntalk, July 24, 2013, 07:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

You've made a good point Jay.
This move would hurt senior citizens ... (those on Social Security) those on Medicade ... the handicapped ... those on welfare just to name a few.
Likewise how many folks still get their utility bills in the mail? Not everyone has an email account.
I know that I receive each year mail concerning Social Security concerning the prescription plan and the annual Medicare book as well as the annual form showing how much I received for the year which is absolutely necessary.

jay

I receive and send a lot of mail via the U.S Postal Service.  I prefer to keep the service for my home.

Maybe some people could opt out of the service entirely and never receive (or send) another piece of mail again.

The Board of Election could trim the voter roles and save a lot of money by not having to deal with absentee ballots.

Towntalk

99% of my mail is junk mail and starting in August I will be down to one first class letter 4 times a year and two monthly, and eventually one of these will be eliminated ... I get all my important mail vis email (bills). I also pay all my bills electronically so I wouldn't really miss home delivery.

Towntalk

Plans by the U.S. Postal Service to continue cutting back services are not sitting well with union leaders or customers.
The latest suggestion is eliminating traditional door-to-door mail delivery and switching to centralized cluster boxes or curbside mail boxes by 2015. A spokesman said the U.S. Postal Service spends $33 billion annually on home delivery, or roughly $353 per home, per year. Home delivery is the agency's single largest expense.
Machelle Louchery of Youngstown said she used cluster boxes when she lived in Florida and didn't like it.
"If you had a cluster box, you wouldn't be able to get a large package into a cluster box. So the mail delivery would leave a note saying you had to go to the post office, which was an inconvenience to yourself," Louchery said. "There were a lot of times peoples' mail were taken out. You lost a key and it would be like an act of congress to get a key back."
All the same, lawmakers in Washington are discussing the postal cuts this week and local union leaders said they're already being told to brace for immediate reductions if the measure should pass.
"The whole idea behind this is to entice businesses to privatize the postal service by selling it off, basically putting the postal service on auction to sell it to the highest bidder. And whatever is left over, it'll subcontract out and it'll charge people to have mail delivered to their house,' said Dominic Corso with the U.S. Postal Workers Local 443.
A Postal Service spokesman said the agency loses $25 million a day and desperately needs to cut its costs. But leaders with the postal workers union claim certain lawmakers have their own plans.
"The numbers are bogus. The postal service is the richest broke company ever," Corso said.