News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown City Schools Superintendent gets a big raise tonight

Started by Billy Mumphrey, June 25, 2013, 09:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I go back to the 1950's and we had some really good Superintendents ... Bunn and Wanamaker to name two, and the city schools had good reputations and track records. Our High Schools were top shelf for cities our size and the graduation rate was high. Rayen and Chaney were at the top of the list when it came to grads going on to college, and not just YSU (Youngstown College). After Wanamaker left the system started to have problems that grew increasingly worst until today we have one of the worst in the state.

Don't blame the teachers though they have to work with the cards they are delt by the Board and Superintendent, and they are losing cards at best.

our2cents

He's one of the reasons with his absurd plans that made us yank our kids out of the system.  We know many people that bought their homes on the west side for putting their kids into the nearby schools.  And now sending them away from our homes and letting the system fall apart more was the final blows.  So, we own our homes in Youngstown, pay our taxes for stupid decision makers to make these decisions, and then still have to put our children into other educational programs.

joly1584

When was the last time Youngstown had a decent school board and competent superintendent?  I moved here in 1992 and have seen very few qualified people on the school board and Hathorn is the closest to a "good" superintendent I have seen.

iwasthere

incompetent boe board members and politics should never be involved in decisions when it comes to education on levels that is utopia thinking.

Towntalk

The vote was 5 to 2, with board members Andrea Mahone and Brenda Kimble casting the dissenting votes. It's a four-year contract starting July 2 at an annual salary of $119,250, which is a 10 percent cut from his previous contract, where Hathorn made $132,000 a year.  He'll soon start to collect his retirement from the state as well.

jay

Quote i agree with the two dissenting boe members

Who were these two board members?

Towntalk

Given the pathetic state of the city school system,  >:(  he should be paying the BOE for the privelage of being the superintendent ... he's an absolute failure and the BOE is too stupid to see it.  >:(  We have a bunch of incompitents running a once proud school system into the ground and the voters are too stupid to see it.  >:(

iwasthere

i would had told him, "retire and have a nice life".  i agree with the two dissenting boe members that the report card scores concerning the stds are not in until then sit tight and enjoy the ride while doing your job.

jay

I'm not for double dipping.  Retire and let your job be given to a younger person.  If a retiree wants to keep busy, there are plenty of volunteer opportunities in our community.

Billy Mumphrey

I see where the city schools superintendent was able to retire and be rehired by the school board tonight. By becoming a double dipper, he gets a 11,6000+ raise starting July 2nd. He will earn $116,000 in retirement while collecting a $119,000 salary. It must be nice. Hope he works harder for his extra $116,000.