News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

City Administration Hires But Most Not City Residents

Started by jay, April 25, 2013, 07:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on May 02, 2013, 02:57:02 PM
People with any means to do so move out of the city.  If you value your life, your property and want the best for your kids you will at some point make the decision to leave the city.  Cities have too much stacked against them. 

I moved INTO the city from the suburbs, so I certainly have the means to leave again, if I wanted.  I value my life and property.  If I had kids, I would be saving enough--by living in the city--to send them to good private schools.  We, in the rust belt, are lucky that the latter is true.  In most cities, outside of the rust belt, they still don't have great schools, but they are also more expensive.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

People with any means to do so move out of the city.  If you value your life, your property and want the best for your kids you will at some point make the decision to leave the city.  Cities have too much stacked against them. 

Penguins37

You are absolutely right Jay!  Heaven forbid you have the most qualified applicants, it is surely better to just higher blindly based on where someone lives.

Yo residents were given bonus points on the exam, meaning if they still were not hired the folks who were must have done much better than them on the exam. 

jay

From today's newspaper

Of the seven firefighters recently hired, only one of them is a city resident.

The new hires don't have to move into the city either.
:P   :P   :P   :P

If they won't live with us, they shouldn't work for us.

iwasthere

i bet there are whites, hispanics, asian, blacks, other minorities and women that are on the list, next to be hired but they have to abide their time for next rd of hirees. if, i was mayor for the day. i would pay off the loans or classes that new fire fighters had to take in order to be considered for a fire fighter job in ytown. i would also assist them of giving them $5,oooo as a down payment for a house in ytown. these funds would come out of the one million dollars that came from the gambling proceeds windfall.

kenneyjoe330

Mr. Rowlands - I agree whole heartily with your post and "true equality" and NONDISCRIMINATION in hiring.  I do NOT feel that there are "not enough minorities being hired" at all, sorry if I gave that impression.  What I am shocked about I suppose is that out of a considerable number of hired people there was NO woman nor any people of color AND so far not a word from any minority group or leader.  Even though you may be quite correct that the minorities were not qualified enough, and I agree with that, what I don't get is why the old "discrimination" card has not yet been played on this event.  Truth has not stoped "the Card" from being used before, especially in the political arena of goverment jobs.  I do feel sad, and perhaps you and others may feel sad as well, that not even one minority was qualified for these hirings.  Thanks for your post ! ! !

Rick Rowlands

that picture shows true NONDISCRIMINATION in hiring Kenneyjoe!  The jobs were open to any an all to apply for.  Only those who passed the test and achieved the highest score were hired.  The test does not award points based on race or gender, so the only thing that mattered was "the content of their character", knowledge and ability.   If you feel that there are not enough minorities being hired, it is not because of white interference, it is because the minorities were not qualified enough this go around. But I really don't even care why, all I care about is that all Americans get a fair shot at the jobs with no preferences given to a certain race or a certain gender.  This is true equality.

kenneyjoe330

Freeloaders, 2.75, drug free etc. etc. I am STILL shocked by that picture and even more shocked that the FOREVER Race Card was not pulled out YET.  What is wrong with me?  How bad do I need HELP?

Why?Town

Freeloaders in my book would be the young able bodied people that would rather not work for whatever reason.

jay

Quoteoverabundance of freeloaders

Do "freeloaders" include senior citizens?  They do not have a taxable income so therefore they do not pay the city income tax either.

Why?Town

If you read my post you will see that I stated "overabundance of freeloaders" meaning not that the city is the only place that has them but that there the ratio of freeloaders to productives is too high there.

And you are exactly right that I am supporting them here in the suburbs too (not to mention at the state and federal levels) which is exactly why I'd rather not donate an extra 2.75% of my income to the cause.

northside lurker

Jeez, are you people this obnoxious in person?  I'll continue to enjoy living in the city, if so.

Quote from: Why?Town on April 26, 2013, 04:48:02 AM
I do my best to not even work in city because I'd rather NOT pay one of the HIGHEST income tax rates to support  the overabundance of freeloaders living there.

Subsidized housing, food stamps, unemployment, etc. are federal, state, and county entities, so you're still supporting those freeloaders.  As far as I know, the 2.75% income tax pays for the bloated and inefficient city government.  And, getting back on topic, those "freeloaders" are, apparently, living out in the suburbs with YOU!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Youngstownshrimp

This site has ascended to a higher place of thought.  Go back to the old post and read how many here had no clue.  Most here now are makers and the takers are being pushed back.

Why?Town

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on April 25, 2013, 09:15:14 PM
Its OK to work in Youngstown, but until the parasites are moved out it is no place to live.

I do my best to not even work in city because I'd rather NOT pay one of the HIGHEST income tax rates to support  the overabundance of freeloaders living there.

iwasthere

a handful of the new hires came from a lg line of firefighters in their families. rr you make the subs are a place to live without any problems. the subs are full of all types of addicts that lives in your town aka hubbard, ohio. you want the best of the fire water and dope go to poland, boardman and canfield these residents will provide all of your recreational wishes.