News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Quiz 04012013

Started by Towntalk, April 01, 2013, 09:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

It was re-wrapped in the 80s or 90s, with EIFS.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

If I'm not mistaken, the Woolworth Building was wrapped in the mid to late 1960's, and the old facade was still underneath.

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on April 02, 2013, 07:34:58 PM
Actually the building in question no longer exists. There were some major changes on the Square, but unfortunately, my library doesn't have sets of photos showing the changes, but by the 1920's the changes were in place.

I know, but the Wick Building, the Federal Building, and the Woolworth's Building (Lemon Grove) are still there, even if the last isn't recognizable anymore.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Actually the building in question no longer exists. There were some major changes on the Square, but unfortunately, my library doesn't have sets of photos showing the changes, but by the 1920's the changes were in place.

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on April 02, 2013, 08:39:31 AM
Absolutely right, now can you identify the building next to the bank's right?

Nope!  I know where this was taken because of the landmarks that are still there.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Question: What's a bloody cow doing in front of the Andrews Hitchcock building in photo 1?  :laugh:

Towntalk

Two interesting details in photo.

Towntalk

Absolutely right, now can you identify the building next to the bank's right?

northside lurker

Easy!  The tall building is the Wick Building, and the lower buildings to the right are where the Strauss Building and Chase Bank Building are today.  So, the photgrapher seems to be standing on the SW (or maybe SE?) corner of Central Square.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Name the precise exact location of this 1912 photograph. We know it's downtown, but where downtown?