News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Local Telephone Company Question

Started by jay, January 10, 2013, 08:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Quote from: Why?Town on January 12, 2013, 08:26:23 PM
My neighbor had a landscaping business. He used a 1968 Dodge dump truck with the phone number LI5-3982 painted on the doors. Yes that was the number, I know because it was one number less than ours. Supposedly when they ran the phone line out our road sometime in the mid to late 30s they passed out numbers sequentially

I also quite vividly remember the commercial jingle Garfield 1-2323 on the radio. I was born in 67 so give me 3 or 4 years to start noticing something like that and it takes us into the 70s. Not exactly local, I know but NE Ohio anyway.

I remember hearing that jingle until I moved here--and out of the Cleveland market--12 years ago.  I just did a quick search, and found that this is now their name and their phone number. http://www.garfield12323.com/
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

sfc_oliver

I can remember only having to dial 4 numbers if the first three were the same as yours...... At least i seem to remember that......
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

joly1584

According to Wikipedia the phone companies started using numbers only in the mid to late 1950's and the entire country was using numbers only by the mid 1960's.  The words were dropped because they limited the number of phone numbers that could be issued in a given area. 

I learned my phone number in the mid-60's as numbers only. Using words for phone numbers was something my parents and grandparents talked about when discussing the "good old days".

Towntalk

As long as I can remember our phone number was the same as it is today and we got it in the 1960's.

Why?Town

My neighbor had a landscaping business. He used a 1968 Dodge dump truck with the phone number LI5-3982 painted on the doors. Yes that was the number, I know because it was one number less than ours. Supposedly when they ran the phone line out our road sometime in the mid to late 30s they passed out numbers sequentially

I also quite vividly remember the commercial jingle Garfield 1-2323 on the radio. I was born in 67 so give me 3 or 4 years to start noticing something like that and it takes us into the 70s. Not exactly local, I know but NE Ohio anyway.

iwasthere

i am still a yg pup do not remember those days.

irishbobcat

Had to be in the early to mid 1960's...when I was real young I remember being taught my home phone number began with "plaza"....

jay

Roughly when did the local telephone company quit using phone numbers preceded by a word such as Riverside?