News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"For Sale" Signs Invite Thieves

Started by jay, August 18, 2011, 06:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

The realtor(s) should make a habit of checking all the doors and windows after having
an open house, then....

::::teasing::::::

:)

jay

I heard this report at a block watch meeting this evening.

A house with a "for sale" sign just had its copper pipes stolen but there was no sign of a forced entry.  This is how the block watch members think it happened.  The thief or an accomplice toured the house during a realtor's "open house" and while walking from room to room, the person unlocked a ground floor window.  The thief came back a few days later and gained entry to the house through this unlocked window.

AllanY2525

Rick,

I agree with you on the PEX.  When I re-plumbed the house on Woodbine, I used PEX and those new "shark tooth" connectors to join
it all together.  It was as easy as playing with LEGO blocks...plumbed the whole house in about 2 hours.

Rick Rowlands

Who puts copper water lines in houses anymore?  Go with PEX!

jay

Allan

I agree

--------------------
When I've listened to the YPD scanner,  I've noticed that the response time for alarms is not what you would expect.  Thieves of regular household items could be in and out of a home before a police car is dispatched.

AllanY2525

Those who are selling properties may want to think about installing an alarm system.  It costs less than
replacement of the copper pipes by a plumber, and makes the house a better value to whoever buys
it  - especially if the house is located in a neighborhood that is prone to these types of breakins.

jay

A house in an adjoining block watch area had its copper pipe stolen.  The house also had a "For Sale" sign in the front yard.

AllanY2525

Jay,

This has been going on for decades in Youngstown - it's nothing new.  Problem is, how do
people advertise a property for sale, if they don't advertise THAT the property is for sale?

The whole purpose of putting up realtor signs is to get the property sold....

jay

Houses with "For Sale" signs are becoming an open invitation for thieves.

Here is what happens

A thief sees a for sale sign and knows that many homes in Youngstown are vacant.  The thief comes back later and knocks on the door.  If no one answers, he then tries to gain entry to the house.  Once inside, the thief steals the copper plumbing from the basement.  In some instances, the thief will even rip the walls apart to access additional copper pipe and copper wire.