News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Losing More Sidewalk Space

Started by jay, June 07, 2010, 06:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

I state my opinions on this forum and you don't have any reservations about attacking me.  Why the double standard? Wouldn't one standard work just fine?

Penguins37

It would be easier if Jay would post something other than miscellaneous things to complain about.

iwasthere

everyone leave my frd "J" alone.  :)he stated his opinion. we do support freedom of speech?

Rick Rowlands

If you would stop walking through there taking your useless pictures the sidewalks would be a bit less crowded!  Why don't you go out in the neighborhoods and turn in zoning violations!  ::)

jay

In the photo, the remaining usable sidewalk contains trees, cement flower pots, and an A-frame sign belonging to one of the businesses.  Walking in this area is like traveling through an obstacle course.

DefendYoungstown

Just a FYI: Each business that has outdoor seating in the downtown area had to present their design plans and have have those plans approved by the City of Youngstown's Design Review Committee (which is comprised of city officials, landscape and building design professionals and citizens). Each plan was unanimously approved.

AllanY2525

The sidewalks downtown are more than big enough to accomodate both
pedestrian traffic and the patio areas.

It's better than having lots of sidewalkspace - with no people using it.

Penguins37

You are being rediculous Jay.  This is a sign of growth and development downtown, we should not discourage this.

jay

We are losing access to public sidewalks.  The flow of pedestrian traffic is impeded.

Mary_Krupa

I can't believe you are actually complaining about this for our downtown! 
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

Towntalk

I agree with Lynds ... these are assets not liabilities, but then some folks aren't happy unless they can spend their time finding things to gripe about.

I do agree about the stores on Mahoning Avenue, but stop and think about this Jay ... those bars didn't just go ahead and put those fences up on their own ... they had to get city approval ... they had to pay for permits ... the fences had to get approved ... the establishments had to pay someone to erect them.

Lynds

Quote from: jay on June 08, 2010, 09:11:50 AM
I feel the sidewalks downtown and on Mahoning Avenue are becoming too cluttered.  There has to be a standard set otherwise each person will make their own decision on how to "use" the sidewalk in front of their business.  If Councilwomen Gillam and Righetti don't care then who will?

I recently saw used tires being sold on the sidewalk of Mahoning Avenue.

cluttered??!!! really?? I think it looks great Jay, its a way for the costumers to enjoy this wonderful weather and enjoy the Downtown area all together.

Maybe on Thursday you and I can sit there and have a coffee?

jay

I just noticed a small collection of beer bottles on the ground near the doorway of the first business.  I hope the business picks up the containers every evening or places a recycling container outside for the drinkers.  If they do not recycle, then place a trash can outside (and add to the clutter).

Penguins37

Go to New York or Chicago and you will see the same type of thing you see in front of Lemon Grove, Imbibe and Rosetta Stone; that is a great thing.   Having this kind of development downtown allows for us to create a vibrant area where people bring life and activity to the streets.   That is a great thing.

northside lurker

If I'm not mistaken, these enclosed outdoor areas allow for the legal consumption of alcohol outside.  So, I see this as a different issue than the selling of "junk" on Mahoning Ave., and IMO, is a positive addition to street life downtown. 
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison