News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

J Wms abandon Gays for YSU Students

Started by jamesrivers, June 23, 2006, 11:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leah

When I was a student, the rent on my apartment was $450 a month for a 3 bedroom.  Heat and Water included.  It was in a four-plex on the North Side.  I had 2 roommates.  We each paid $150 a month.  That was in 1998.  But still pretty cheap.

Granted, I rented from a notorious slumlord and the building was boarded up a few years after I moved out...but still.  You couldn't beat the price and we were surrounded by our friends and other students.

I don't think that the average student will be able to afford the $1200 a month apartments.  Maybe grad students.  Or students who don't want to live in the dorms but their parents are scared to let them live on the North Side and are willing to foot the bill.

AllanY2525

The single family historic home I just purchased on Woodbine Street (North Side, near YSU) is
right in the middle of a neighborhood referred to as "fraternity row".  It is comprised mainly of
very large, historic old homes that are almost entirely occupied by college students. 

Most of the owners of these homes are making around $800 to $1000 a month by renting
to anywere from FOUR to as many as EIGHT students.  This works out to about $200 per
student per sleeping room, with the common areas of these homes being shared by all.

The average YSU student is looking to pay no more than $300 a month or so for an
apartment/rooming house situation.  The Wick Bldg. apartments will be WAY out of
the price rage of a vast maority of students, from what I have heard so far.

northside lurker

Why not both professionals and students?

I lived in an apartment complex in Austintown that had college students, young professionals, (me, at least :D) and blue collar workers.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jamesrivers

J Wms abandon Gays for YSU Students

Did you notice that Wick Bldg owner mention the idea of what YSU Students pay for apartment rent as $1,200-$1,800 per month?  His statement leads me to believe that maybe,  he is thinking of renting Wick Bldg Apartments to YSU students if these High Income Professionals don't flock to downtown.  Students would have to live 4 to an apartment and that's still high rent for students   

What do you think?