News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Bank Fire

Started by Towntalk, July 11, 2012, 11:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

All types of fix-up and cleaning crews were busy at the Huntington Bank Building today.

iwasthere

fire chief oneil ruled out the ytown council reps were responsible for the fire. rumour on the street council was upset with the business chamber for endorsing all 17 charter recommendations. so council fire bombed the bldg which would had been the wrong bldg.

Rick Rowlands

In the interior photos there appears to be plastic all over the furniture and floors.   Wouldn't think that the fire dept. would carry plastic sheeting around with them for situations like this.

Towntalk

What concerns me is the smoke damage as well as water damage ... it's very difficult to clear out the smell and the smell will permeate the banking room because of the carpeting and paneling. Also what would the effect be on the electronics?

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on July 12, 2012, 04:10:22 PM
What suprises me is that the bank plans to reopen for business Monday according to the Business Journal. I know that they said that the businesses in the building would be open, but given the fire damage to the bank itself I'm suprised.

I'm guessing that most of the damage is cosmetic, and can be temporarily covered, or just "lived" with, for the time being.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

Entire buildings downtown don't sell for much more than that. 

Towntalk

What suprises me is that the bank plans to reopen for business Monday according to the Business Journal. I know that they said that the businesses in the building would be open, but given the fire damage to the bank itself I'm suprised.

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on July 12, 2012, 11:29:59 AM
UPDATE

Damage to bank estimated at $100,000.00

http://www.wfmj.com/global/story.asp?s=19005427

According to the Business Journal, the estimated damage is more than $875,000.  That seems much more in line with the pictures from the Metro Monthly link. :(

http://businessjournaldaily.com/banking-finance/downtown-huntington-branch-reopen-monday-2012-7-12
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Towntalk

northside lurker

Quote from: jay on July 12, 2012, 05:34:20 AM
I always liked the fine woodwork on the main floor of the bank.

Me too.  So much so, that I've considered moving my accounts there.

I hope they are able to fully restore the lobby.
--Thomas Edison

jay

I always liked the fine woodwork on the main floor of the bank.

Towntalk

A cleaning woman was rescued from the 11th floor of the Huntington Bank building on West Federal Street in downtown Youngstown during a two-alarm fire just after 8 p.m. Wednesday.

Fire crews were unable to reach her with their ladder trucks and eventually brought her down the stairs. She was screaming and crying hysterically at the scene, where she was immediately given oxygen by rescue workers.

She was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation but is expected to be OK, according to Youngstown Fire Chief John O'Neill.

Smoke could be seen pouring from the building's second floor within minutes of the initial fire call, which was made by the rescued woman.

O'Neill said the fire started in the main bank area of the first floor and caught some of the ornate wood on fire. He said the flames spread up the pipe chase and because of that, all the floors have significant smoke damage.

"Extensive cleanup will be required," O'Neill said.

Embers were still smoldering just before 10 p.m. and O'Neill said final wetdowns were being done. He said the biggest challenge was venting out the upper floors, which was being done one floor at a time.

Huntington Regional President Frank Hierro said the bank's lobby will be closed until at least Monday, but the building's upper floors, where law offices and other offices are located, could be ready for occupancy on Thursday. However, he said it would be up to the restoration crew to make that determination.

Hierro said there was water damage on the first floor and smoke damage throughout the building.