News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

The Youngstown World Trade Center

Started by ytowner, November 16, 2010, 10:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on November 17, 2010, 09:16:35 AM
Here is the catch:

"Planey said he's working with someone in Asia to put together a group of investors, but he cautioned that EB-5 visas are hard to get, and must be cleared by the U.S. government, along with Immigration and Customs." 

This is why it sounds too good to be true.  This would be a good project if they can obtain the visas, and if the building were redesigned to fit into the historic nature of West Federal Street.  I find it hard to believe that Faniro Architects would want to have a part in a project that makes their building stick out like a sore thumb and detracts from the context of other downtown structures.

I'll reserve final judgement until we have more than a sketch.  But, I think it looks OK.  For what it's supposed to be, it should be a signature building.  It seems to take inspiration from the Art Deco Metropolitan Tower. (or whatever it's called now...)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

Here is the catch:

"Planey said he's working with someone in Asia to put together a group of investors, but he cautioned that EB-5 visas are hard to get, and must be cleared by the U.S. government, along with Immigration and Customs." 

This is why it sounds too good to be true.  This would be a good project if they can obtain the visas, and if the building were redesigned to fit into the historic nature of West Federal Street.  I find it hard to believe that Faniro Architects would want to have a part in a project that makes their building stick out like a sore thumb and detracts from the context of other downtown structures.

Jaime Hughes

If he actually goes on with the project he has my support. Too many times have we seen people come in with promises of better buildings and ideas and later they fall due to lack of, well whatever. I also find it just wonderful that he included the State Theatre Facade :)

Youngstownshrimp

Hmmmmmmm.......  I may have to take back what I said about this Planey guy.  Although we have not seen anything materialize from him, I can see his angle here and also his product.

So far, this EB-5 Visa program is basically selling permanent residency to aliens with cash, that's a niche.  This might work, immigrants flooded this area for work at the steel mills, Planey may have been jet setting around the world selling passes to the wealthy of the world provided they invest in Ytown.  Planey's wife is Asian and this may have opened his mind up to more culture, if he brings in aliens with money to bring in commerce, he has my vote.

Towntalk

I don't get it. This is supposed to be a proposed project, yet in the Chambers latest publication at pages 30-31 they are giving a description of it based on architects renderings and saying that the building will be completed in 2012.

Rick Rowlands

Kind of gaudy and inappropriate for the location, don't you think?

ytowner

Link: http://www.tribtoday.com/page/content.detail/id/549658/Chamber-proposes-new-trade-center.html?nav=5021
YOUNGSTOWN - A new six-story building in downtown Youngstown to serve as the city's World Trade Center, along with a 74-page international marketing book partly translated into six languages, are key elements of an ambitious campaign the Regional Chamber unveiled Monday to attract foreign businesses.

The proposed $9 million glass-clad trade center would be financed by foreign investors through the federal government's EB-5 visa program. The program grants permanent U.S. residency to immigrants in return for investing in projects, according to Eric Planey, the chamber's vice president for international business attraction.

What say you??