News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

The Hidden Brothel

Started by Youngstownshrimp, August 10, 2010, 10:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForumManager

I need to take several shots to get one good one but will give it my best effort.

Rick I will call you... Thanks for offering to dig plants.  I can dig too.  I just worry that they will fry if planted now - worth a shot though if they are going to be removed anyway.  I'll bring containers. 

Shar

Quote from: ForumManager on August 11, 2010, 02:54:53 PM
I'm thinking it is already pretty much destroyed, at the very least neglected beyond restoration.

Neglected and overgrown, yes but the site he described will be cleared, leveled, destroyed. eliminated (choose the word that suits you best) as he has been hired to clear it for a developer.  I wasn't implying that there was anything there to be restored, it just sounds like a piece of history that needs to be photographed before it is a flat piece of dirt.  I'm glad you are willing to take some photos. 

Rick Rowlands

Hey there ForumManager, give me a call at 330-272-4089 tomorrow when you plan to go over there and I'll meet you there.  If there are any plants that you want I'll dig them out for you. I want to take a look around and see if there is anything there that maybe I can use at the Heritage Park.

ForumManager

Quote from: Shar on August 11, 2010, 11:30:05 AM
What a shame it would be if you continue to destroy this site without documenting what you described with pictures.

I'm thinking it is already pretty much destroyed, at the very least neglected beyond restoration.

I'd be willing to come by tomorrow around lunch time (8/12) with a camera.  I am not a very good photographer though.  I love the adventure of old home sites.  I was especially  intrigued with the old  garden next to Wick Pollack.  I'm happy  to trade photo time for perennials - however I hesitate to dig them up in all this heat.  Do they need to be out  right away? Is this coming weekend an option?   

Do I need a secret handshake or are there guard dogs to worry about? 

I googled and have a pretty good idea of the location- where is the best place to enter?

AllanY2525

Ron,

feel free to upload any photos you have to my website, via FTP, and I'll start a new gallery for them...

ftp address:  allthingsyoungstown.net

password: youngstown

:)

Shar

What a shame it would be if you continue to destroy this site without documenting what you described with pictures.  You took the time to post the description, certainly you have the time to take pictures.  For the record, Rick is not the only other forum member that works!

Youngstownshrimp

I can take pictures but I yet need to find time to learn how to post them here.  If you like you may come and take pictures and post them, this will allow me to keep working like Rick.  Also if anyone wants to dig up perennials or take seasoned wood from the structure you are welcome. 

Rick, the acreage has three entrances and it truly is a hidden place.  As I cleared the entrance to the side buildings, I uncovered a lot of stone walkways, do you know of any use for them? 

Rick Rowlands

I think I found the house on Google Earth.  Looks like the driveway is on Liberty Street.

Jaime Hughes

Please take pictures!! It sounds amazing!! ;D

Youngstownshrimp

Tucked away in the middle of 22 acres on the eastside is the remnants of what was once a hidden brothel along the Sharon line.  Infact the line ran along Arcadia and borders this turn of the century house of ill repute.  Recently, an investment group purchased this acreage and my organization has been clearing the overgrown access to this structure.  Because the building collapsed on itself, the architecture can not be assessed.  However, I was able to see the massive stone fireplace, I have never seen a fireplace like this one, anywhere.  The entire roof was copper shingles and has been looted years ago.  There are many side buildings that have been overtaken by nature.  Gardens must have surrounded this acreage, because there are stone walkways, brick gates and flowers all over the place.   This site truly is amazing.

If anyone has some history about the brothels that were along the Sharon line, please advise.