News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Night Life

Started by Towntalk, March 07, 2010, 08:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowner

Quote from: Steve Novotny on March 08, 2010, 10:53:33 AM
You chose to apply a derogatory term and made harsh judgements about the women's lifestyles based on their appearance and names. Maybe you should head over to club Gossip in the Wedgewood Plaza this Saturday night to learn how women in the suburbs dress.
Care to give me another word to describe those four women? Poll everyone in the Mahoning Valley and I bet the first thought that comes to mind is prostitutes.

iwasthere

Quote from: Steve Novotny on March 08, 2010, 11:08:20 AM
I would love to see the structure preserved. It's currently owned by the Ohio One Corporation, and they don't have any use for it at the moment and are trying to sell it. I looked at it as a possible candidate for a deconstruction facility.
ohio one corp is the major stock owner, rich mills?

iwasthere

Quote from: Steve Novotny on March 08, 2010, 10:43:57 AM
I walked through the armory a couple months ago. It needs a LOT of work in order to make it functional again.
it can happen with public and private donations to bring the armory up to code.

ytowner

Quote from: Steve Novotny on March 08, 2010, 10:42:54 AM
14 years of Catholic schooling taught me to respect others and to refrain from making harsh and uneducated judgements based on one's appearance.
We each have those 14 years of Catholic schooling in us and I am not making a harsh judgement, I am telling you what the picture clearly shows: four women wearing skimpy clothing in Downtown. Just what we want suburban parents to see.

ytowner

Quote from: Steve Novotny on March 07, 2010, 09:05:55 PM
Well that was inappropriate
The picture sure was inappropriate, not my post. Everyone I came across yesterday was talking about the "4 hoes" on W. Federal Street. Just look at their damn dresses and names. They are walking like they own the street.

And trust me, I am not the only one that thought of "4 hoes" when I saw the picture. Just go read Vindy.com!

iwasthere

the old armory on ryan ave comes to mind to have weekly open air market in the downtown area.

Youngstownshrimp

Allan, you are right and I am sorry if I offended you.  Please note that I did not point out anyone, but used the word "we" , I have been investing in YTown since 1995 and I see so much potential but the mindset is in the way.  Again, I do not want to get personal with anyone and try often to include myself in my diatribe.  I guess I get it from my father the old green beret, he was always barking rhetoric but he kept most his men alive.

AllanY2525

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on March 07, 2010, 05:35:05 PM
Just when I think we have some real traction, we digress into pretending to show Walmart and Home Depot their new inner-city-business plan and how we should of designed retention ponds in suburbia to eliminate flooding.

Ron,

My post was simply putting forth some ideas I had with regard to getting more stores in the
downtown area.

I was not pretending to show WalMart and Home Depot a plan on how to carry on
their operations in urban areas -  and I do not claim to be either a business planner or a retail
expert - nor have I ever done so.  I was thinking along the lines of an experiment to see
if such a venture could be brought to downtown Youngstown in an effort to revitalize the
retail district here - I only used WalMart and Home Depot as examples because they were two
of the large, nationally franchised outfits that came to mind when I was thinking about the
idea.  Franchises who already have a presence in the local area.

If you disagree with the ideas or concepts put forth in my post that's perfectly fine and you
have every right to do so - but why do you come across as though you are attacking people
on a personal level so often?  I don't understand.  I've never said or done anything to you...
so what's with all of the negative attitude here?  You're obviously a very intelligent and
motivated human being, but when you come across with the attitude of a pitt bull on the
attack - people will basically start to disregard you and anything that you have to say once
you've offended them.

People who otherwise might have become interested in working with you, and putting your
valuable insight and skills to good use.  I think your whole foods store is a fantastic idea...
but I'm not going to make snyde [sp?] comments simply because I had an idea or ideas of my
own - whether feasible or not.  It would be just plain rude.

If you disagree with the ideas put forth in my post - by all means let us know by putting up
valid arguments as to why you think they would not work, and please supplement your
dialogue with ideas of your own that you feel would be workable solutions.... okay?  This
response is not attacking you as a person, it is addressing your behaviour - or lack thereof.

When someone has some ideas that you disagree with - it doesn't necessarily make them bad ones.

Anthony Kobach (?) was the city planning expert who worked on the 2010 neighborhood
modeling stuff, right?  I recall that he left Youngstown for better opportunities in another
city - who has been hired to take over for him as city planner?

The Youngstown 2010 website continues to post news articles about the good stuff
happening in the city - but no new neighborhood descriptions, etc.  have been added in a
long time.  It seems as though the planning aspects of the 2010 Plan have stalled,
more or less, now that he is gone.

Youngstownshrimp

Councilman,  Here is some progress on a bulkfood store downtown:
1.  The old precinct has space next door and Mike the owner, I'm sure will welcome an occupant.
2.  Dutchvalleyfoods.com is ready willing and able to supply a new store downtown.
3.  Your wife has experience with whole food operations and can manage a new store.
4.  Urban agriculture can supply fresh produce to this store.
5.  I will be available to assist in the establishment of a new store.

Well, most of the ingredients to bake the cake is here, all we need is someone with balls and the guts to be an entrepreneur here.  I think the problem, is we have been addicted to PORK so long, we forgot how to make it ourselves.

irishbobcat

News and views is mad because all four girls turned down his advances.....

ytowner

No mention of the four hoes on the front page? I am sorry, but what the heck was the Vindicator thinking!?

john r. swierz

Steve the building that would b e good for that is on the east end of town. Its a 30,000sq.ft. warehouse that was owned by Mr. Bob Brothers. Theres a sign with a phone number to call. It could be a  open space venue like the old french market in Columbus.

john r. swierz

While I agree that there is no template we should be making a list of what we do want, like: a womens
      apparel shop, a mini Rulli Bros. (coming home), sports store(tennis shoes,etc), vitamin store, pharmacy
      store, Dry cleaner. Remember we have the empty buildings to house the stores.

Youngstownshrimp

Just when I think we have some real traction, we digress into pretending to show Walmart and Home Depot their new inner-city-business plan and how we should of designed retention ponds in suburbia to eliminate flooding.

Downtown redevelopment has no templete, it happens one business at a time, again, what we need is people with balls and contacts to invest.  We'd do best if we put our energy towards finding that entrepreneur.

john r. swierz

Everyone can help!  The city needs everyone to "Tell the Story" about the comeback of Downtown Y-
    town. If the story is told enough times, investors will take the chance and open the necessary stores