News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Phantom Fireworks and the PRR Passenger Station

Started by Rick Rowlands, February 12, 2010, 07:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

They've outlawed fireworks altogether where I live, except for sparklers - so there
are no longer any stores here where you can buy them.  That doesn't stop residents
from my county from buying them elsewhere (I buy fireworks in Youngstown from
time to time, and bring them home to Maryland).

The proximity of the new site to the freeway(s) could generate extra business
during the busy season,  as passers-by might just take the exit from the freeway
and stop by the store to buy fireworks - folks that otherwise might just keep
going.....if they see the sign of the store.  Passers-by who, like myself, cannot
buy them at home.

Hopefully, someone can come up with a creative way to re-use the old station...
maybe another bus line, etc(?)

:)

Why?Town

BJ Allen has a permit to sell ONLY in the city of Youngstown.

Supposedly the state is issuing NO new permits. Therefore, BJA could not move to any other locality, set up shop and pay taxes there. Add to that, the fact that there are numerous places already within youngstown's borders that could benefit from the business and pay tax to youngstown, I don't see how "Youngstown still get the Tax money" is a legitimate answer to the question.

So again I ask:

Can anyone explain how annexing land makes more sense than using land already in youngstown that's just going to waste?

woozle

Why?Town

Can anyone explain how annexing land makes more sense than using land already in youngstown that's just going to waste?

Rick Rowlands

Yet the lowly old PRR station, the topic of this thread, gets topically "bulldozed".  I guess thats to be its fate in real life too?

AllanY2525

Thanks everyone, for the good info - definitely a "win-win" for both
B.J. Allen Co. and the city...

Now, if they're really smart.... they'll put up a HUGE sign,  as high as they can,
and as close to the freeway as possible, and make it very brightly lit at night.

:)

Youngstownshrimp

Alan,  It was I who spearheaded the assemblage of all the 40' lots on Meridian for commercial use, I was excited Phantom selected this site, we still own many lots next to their 6 acre site.  To properly market the property, I but a JD 450 to level off the brush and debris.

The property was plated for residential lots and paper streets decades ago, a few lots were once actually built on, but have since been demo'd.  It is correct that the lots have been used to ilegally dump on, so obviously, the Phantom project is progress.  That being said, the property is mid way between 680 and 80 , so customers can access the store both ways.  Also, being right across from Salt Springs road makes the location even better.  The commercial boom on 80 is actually newer than 46 , so growth is expected to continue.  As can be seen by my associates and my investment in that location, we believe this area is good for progress in the Valley.

Towntalk

>:( 1. I didn't say there was!  >:(

>:( 2. It was a QUESTION NOT a statement of fact!  >:(

Rick Rowlands

How do you get contaminated soil from storing fireworks in trailers?  What would contaminate the soil?

Towntalk

In 1985, B.J. Alan acquired the assets of a sparkler manufacturing facility, moved the operations to the Youngstown, Ohio area and established the Diamond Sparkler Manufacturing Co., Inc. Today, Diamond employs 18 full-time, year round employees and up to 40 additional temporary workers during the heavier production times. It is the sole remaining operating sparkler manufacturing facility in the United States. During its peak manufacturing season, Diamond's production capabilities reach approximately 800,000 sparklers per day.

Towntalk

Two questions:

1. Doesn't Phantom have a manufacturng plan near the downtown store? I recall seeing them firing off some one time when I was still working downtown. and no, it wasn't a fireworks show. A policeman frien told us it was a test firing.

2. What about soil contamination? We know that there are a hundred or so trailers full of fireworks parked there?

jay

Some residents of Austintown are organizing to fight the annexation of "their land" to the city of Youngstown.

AllanY2525

What is Phantom's motivation for moving its operations to Austintown?

Better facilities?
Lower taxes?

Someone please post the answers to these ?

Why?Town

Youngstown isn't as concerned about their current properties as they are about stealing property from others.

jay

Maybe the station could be used by the Greyhound Bus Company again.