News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

City Council Term Limits Mailing Today

Started by jay, November 01, 2018, 04:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

This was started by Mike Rae supporters that didn't want to lose him because he was doing a "great job".

Rushblvd

As ridiculous as this is for passing, even more, is how the Council pushed it through the meeting...They should be ashamed of themselves. If they want people to respect them for the jobs they do, then, by all means, be respectful of the word TRANSPARENCY...This back-room politics is Bull-sh*t...I think all citizen's need to start getting involved, run for office, and be a pain in their as*...This is 1970-1980 Youngstown Politics..As much as we try to move forward, we end up going so very far back

iwasthere

jay

Both charter amendments eliminating term limits passed.

:'(

iwasthere

jay

The president has term limits (for now).

The governor has term limits.

What is so special about this crop of councilmen that the citizens would want them to stay in office for a lifetime?

iwasthere

jay

Many red and white signs appeared along Mahoning Avenue today.

The signs read.

No! to unlimited council terms!
Unlimited terms = Unlimited corruption

Why?Town

HMMM...I have to say my response is based on the individuals, and some families that haven't done much, if anything, good and just keep collecting tax money as a paycheck along with benefits/retirements most private employees will never see.

Quote from: jay on November 02, 2018, 04:14:51 AM
- Term limits are Undemocratic and limit who You get to choose who You want in office, while forcing good public servants out of office.

Eliminating term limits also limits who you get to choose by never allowing a better candidate from the same party to run and forces any potential good public servants to never get in office.

- Term limits create a revolving door, leading to a culture of corruption and unaccountability.

Eliminating term limits closes other doors which could then easily be used to keep the culture of corruption and unaccountability out of the eyes of citizens.

- Term limits keep good public servants from becoming real experts at their jobs or knowledgeable about what the City of Youngstown needs.

Eliminating term limits allows the not so good public servants to become real experts doing the best to keep their jobs forever instead of doing their best to help the city get better.

Considering all the problems we've had in this area over the last few decades, if not longer, while term limits may not completely fix anything they are definitely a step in the right direction. Hopefully not the only step.

jay

- Term limits are Undemocratic and limit who You get to choose who You want in office, while forcing good public servants out of office.

- Term limits create a revolving door, leading to a culture of corruption and unaccountability.

- Term limits keep good public servants from becoming real experts at their jobs or knowledgeable about what the City of Youngstown needs.

jay

Today I received a glossy card in the mail asking me to vote to eliminated term limits for city councilmen.  The mailing was sent by the Committee to Elect Mike Ray.

Councilman Ray is one of the councilmen who faces term limits after 2019.

I will list his reasons in a coming post.