News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Abuse Of Recycling Container

Started by jay, February 09, 2008, 06:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary_Krupa

Also, they could have taken the door to the new store, ReStore, on Youngstown Poland Road. This is a Habitat for Humanity store which accepts construction materials--they are kind of like a nonprofit Star Supply. They aren't open yet but you can donate and actually visit them to find out about the store. They will also be a Green Team recycling site.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

jay

As of yesterday, Friday, February 8, the door was still in the recycling bin on South Meridian Road just across from National City Bank.

ForumManager

I agree. 

That door definitely has some life left in it. The easiest way to recycle things that are potentially valuable  in Youngstown is to put them on the curb.  The junk dealers and scrappers know the garbage nights and always precede the trash people. Things are gathered  up in a flash.  That door would have been gone in 10 minutes in my neighborhood.

There are  also the yahoo groups freecycle youngstown and NEOhotspot to give away your unused items or to monitor other people's "wants."

ForumManager

northside lurker

I'd like to add to me previous post.  I guess what I was trying to say is that that door might have been worth something to someone, and it was ignorant of them to throw it away in the first place, and ignorant of them to use a recycling container.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

northside lurker

I wonder why they threw it away?  It doesn't look like the glass is broken.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

irishbobcat

The one major problem I have seen with our county recycling program is that there is no place to turn in used, burned out CFL light bulbs because of the small amounts of mercury in them. Various web-sites I have check list the nearest CFL recycling center in Ravenna, Ohio.

I finally had a CFL light bulb burn out this week....you can't throw them in the garbage or because you can't have mercury soaking into the ground at the landfields.

Again, you would think each county in Ohio would have an official recycling center for these CFL lights.

Sincerely,

Dennis Spisak
Independent Green Party Candidate for State Representative-60th District

jay

Each time I visit a Green Team's recycling container, I can't believe the problems that some people cause by placing unwanted items in it.   The item sticking out of the recycling container pictured below is a wood door.