News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Only In Youngstown?

Started by jay, September 09, 2018, 11:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why?Town

Well yesterday was the "retirement" breakfast and unlike the last one, I remembered to look for hats.

We had 11 guys, 4 of us wore hats while at the table so just over 35%. While eating I looked around and counted about 40 people total and only about 9 hats so that was under 25% total.

FWIW, as I typed this I realized those percentages aren't really comparable considering our table had no women and children while the rest of the place was about 50% women and 2 or 3 kids.

To add to my weird post, I didn't even wear a hat last time because I "stole" my son's motorcycle to get there and had a helmet on outside but this time I had on my Indians hat. That makes the Indians hats 50% at my table.

Why?Town

Well thanks for those answers.

I would have thought that the younger group would have been more likely to keep their caps on. I'm sure it was that way when I was a kid. Considering that the older guys were once the younger guys and that my cap stays on to cover my baldness, that may explain the change.

I'm only 51 yrs old but am "retired" due to multiple injuries I received 2 years ago in a bad wreck.  For a year now I've been going to The Landmark Restaurant, out by the mall, to meet with a handful of real retirees I used to work with. Anywhere from 6 to 12 guys, some show up consistently, some randomly.  I should be able to say roughly what % wear caps while there but all I can say that two are definitely there, one of my various caps and the guy with the Indians cap every time, even during football season. I'd guess there are more.

Now I have to remember to pay attention to their caps as well as the caps of guys at other tables, some seem to be retired, some may be meeting for other reasons. I may not remember what I want to do, I may do it and not remember later what I did, I may even remember doing it but forget the results. Either way I'm going to try, my memory issue is just one of the results of my Traumatic Brain Injury, the hardest of my many injuries to overcome and doing something like this can't hurt. I imagine taking 45 minutes to write this post probably can't hurt either but 45 minutes seems way too long.

OMG! I thought I hit post 30 minutes ago and here I am 1hr 15 mins later.

jay

QuoteWere you part of either group?
No

QuoteWere these men a bunch of older retired guys that meet once a month, some guys on their way to work, just type of civic group or maybe something else?
The group of eight appeared to be retirees.
The group of Five appeared to be in the 20-30 year old range.

QuoteWas this a fine dining restaurant, some random chain, or a local mom and pop?
Mom and pop

Why?Town

This post has me somewhat curious.

Were you part of either group?

Were these men a bunch of older retired guys that meet once a month, some guys on their way to work, just type of civic group or maybe something else?

Was this a fine dining restaurant, some random chain, or a local mom and pop?

Is dining something that is done at breakfast?

jay

I went out for breakfast the other day at a restaurant in Youngstown.  The waitress arranged the tables to accommodate two groups of men.

The first group consisted of eight men of which six wore ball caps the entire time they were dining.

The second group had five men of which four wore their ball caps during the meal.

Is wearing a hat while dining a Youngstown Thing?