News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Space Shuttle Sighting

Started by Glenna, June 21, 2007, 08:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenna

yfdgricker

The shuttle and the International Space Station (ISS) occasionally get in just the right location to be visible from certain locations on Earth. Sunlight gets reflected off the shuttle or ISS down to Earth.

Both will appear as a steadily lit 'shooting star' type dot of light in the sky. It lasts between 10 seconds and a minute depending on the duration of the sighting.

WIth the new solar array added to the ISS this past shuttle launch, the ISS shows up as a bright spot of yellowish/gold light in the sky. The shuttle, although smaller, shows up as a less bright white dot in the sky.

During the past few days before the shuttle returned to Earth, both were visible as dots of lights which were in close proximity and  appeared to be chasing one another in the sky.

Glenna

Saw it last night easy enough. However, I am not really sure what it is. If anyone could clarify it for me I would appreciate it.  Thanks

Glenna

I do not know if anyone cares or not but I guess you might be able to see the Space Shuttle/Satellite for a few days.

SATELLITE SIGHTING INFORMATION FOR 

***** Youngstown *****

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE FOLLOWING ISS SIGHTINGS ARE POSSIBLE FROM WED JUN 20 TO MON JUL 02
SATELLITE LOCAL DURATION MAX ELEV APPROACH DEPARTURE
DATE/TIME (MIN) (DEG) (DEG-DIR) (DEG-DIR)

ISS Wed Jun 20/10:53 PM 2 24 11 above W 24 above SW
ISS Thu Jun 21/09:41 PM 3 84 44 above NW 12 above SE
ISS Fri Jun 22/10:00 PM 3 28 17 above W 15 above S
ISS Mon Jun 25/09:28 PM 1 10 10 above WSW 10 above SW

ONLY DAYS WITH SIGHTING OPPORTUNITIES ARE LISTED

THE FOLLOWING SHUTTLE SIGHTINGS ARE POSSIBLE FROM TUE JUN 19 TO MON JUN 25
SATELLITE LOCAL DURATION MAX ELEV APPROACH DEPARTURE
DATE/TIME (MIN) (DEG) (DEG-DIR) (DEG-DIR)

SHUTTLE Mon Jun 18/10:13 PM 3 33 25 above NNW 14 above E
SHUTTLE Mon Jun 18/11:47 PM < 1 13 11 above W 13 above W
SHUTTLE Tue Jun 19/10:34 PM 2 84 33 above WNW 39 above SE
SHUTTLE Wed Jun 20/10:54 PM 2 24 11 above W 24 above SW
SHUTTLE Thu Jun 21/09:41 PM 3 85 44 above NW 12 above SE
SHUTTLE Fri Jun 22/10:01 PM 3 27 17 above W 14 above S

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=United_States&region=Ohio&city=Youngstown