News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"pretend" you're looking for a job.

Started by Smokey362, May 16, 2007, 05:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowner

I beg to differ. If you have an college degree; you can find a job in Trumbull and Mahoning Counties. There is no if's, and's, or but's about it. It may take 6 months to get that job; but you will be able to find a job in the private sector sooner rather than later.

Mary

And in this area what would you say is in demand? I have a business degree with 7 years of relevant work experience. One job I applied for had literally 80+ applicants.

I personally search for jobs on line, in the Vindy, through networking, etc.

In some cases Rick, I would agree that some people do not have the skills that are needed. However, more often then not, in this area, there are more people then jobs.

Rick Rowlands

If you can't find work in this area you are not offering anything that is in demand.

Towntalk

If things are so bad for you here, why haven't you packed your bags and moved to an area where you can find a job instead of just sitting around crying in your beer?

There are several on-line employment agencies that you could use. In fact one of them runs ads on my web site.

http://www.monster.com/

Smokey362

General Motors?  Hahaha.  They make what?  $75,000 a year and when they go to buy a car, they get a discount?  That's silly.

northside lurker

It's very unusual for an architecture firm to advertise open positions.  At best, they might have an "employment opportunities" section on their own web page.  Even here, you will often find a generic statement like: "we're always looking for talented individuals."  But, that doesn't mean there are no jobs in the profession of architecture.  I would be surprised if other professions aren't the same way.

I'm from the Massillon/Canton area.  After I graduated, in 2000, I tried to get a job in that area with no luck.  I was offered a job in Youngstown first. (the company that hired me used an anonymous employment service to find me, BTW)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the economy isn't bad, and that jobs aren't scarce.  I'm just saying that it might not be as bad as it looks, and the Mahoning valley is not the only place with a poor economy.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Smokey362

Check out MahonigValley.info....yep,  THIS site.  Go to "EMPLOYMENT"...there are NO postings.  See what I mean?

Smokey362

Like I said before "Youngstown is dead, we're just waiting for the minister to conduct the service".  We need a bill board at the entrance to the city that says "whoever is the last one to leave...turn the lights off"  How can I, a 58 year old male find a job, when recent YSU grads can't find one.  Who in the world is the administration trying to kid? 

Towntalk

More power to Mayor Williams if he eliminates the dead wood on the city payroll, and even more power to the Mayor if he can cut the City payroll. That's a very good thing, and he could start by reducing the number of City Councilmen. Four, plus a Member at Large would be just fine. Also he could reduce jobs in the Street and Water Department and I wouldn't shed a single tear.

Why should any of the tax payers of Youngstown be gloomy over the restructuring of the City that would result in lower taxes? Is there anyone here who would say that they would be willing to pay higher taxes just to keep a few political hangers on working?

True, they pay taxes just as much as we do, but when it comes to the bottom line, I'm more concerned about mine than I am theirs. Call me selfish, but not one City employee puts a single slice of bread on my table, but they sure reach into my pocket to take as much of my hard earned money away from me as they can.

Now the Police and Fire are different. I say that they should really be looked after. They earn every penny the get and then some.

jay

Some positions will be eliminated.  Those postions needing to be filled will be paid at a lower wage rate.

Towntalk

Jay said: "Once the buyouts take place,  about 30+ positions will need to be filled."

I may be operating under a set of misconceptions, but isn't a "buyout" whether in the private of public sector done to eleminate jobs?

GM and Delphi did buyouts to cut it's work force, so if the city is going to go through a round of buyouts, it only stands that those jobs will not be filled.

The question is, in which departments will the buyouts take place? I certainly hope that it won't be in the Police and Fire Departments.

jay

The city of Youngstown is offering buyouts to many of its employees.  Once the buyouts take place,  about 30+ positions will need to be filled.

Mary

I don't have to pretend. i am a recent ysu grad (may) and am looking for a job. I don't need a lot just a job that will cover my student loans and living. (about 30,000 per year). Yes i have worked before, mainly in the bookkeeping area. This area is just dead. And at this point i can not afford to drive to Pittsburgh or Cleveland. It would mean i would have to make even more.

Smokey362

Ok folks, let's pretend you're looking for a job in the Youngstown area.  Check out the 21, 27, and 33 sites, then go to Ohio Onestop.  Imagine you're 58 years of age.  Now after all of your research, endless hours of looking.......tell me WHY would anyone want to move here?  there are no jobs.  Unless you're a nurse, a stna, or an accountant.  Youngstown is dead....we're just waiting for the minister to arrive to conduct the service.