News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

SouthSide Hospital

Started by Jaime Hughes, May 09, 2007, 08:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

This is a post card depicting the City Hospital of Youngstown. 
The building preceded the South Side Hospital.

our2cents

ok, that puts several things together for me.  Thanks.

northside lurker

The county purchased the building to move their Jobs and Family Services into it, in addition to possibly other county offices in the future.  There has been a big debate about the building recently because the Cafaros (owner of current JFS facility on the east side) have a lawsuit against the county stating that they are wasting the taxpayers' money by purchasing the building.

To answer your question, in addition to the JFS offices that will hopefully be moving in soon, the county morgue is located here, the health dept is here, and there is a head start facility in a different building on the same campus.

Quote from: Our 2ยข on May 10, 2007, 09:31:58 AM
I see it's listed as:
Specialty Hospital Mahoning Valley
345 Oak Hill Ave
Youngstown, OH 44502

What kind of facility is it now?  I never paid attention to what that building was when seeing it from 680 until this discussion.  Is it still used for care of some kind?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

our2cents

I see it's listed as:
Specialty Hospital Mahoning Valley
345 Oak Hill Ave
Youngstown, OH 44502

What kind of facility is it now?  I never paid attention to what that building was when seeing it from 680 until this discussion.  Is it still used for care of some kind?

northside lurker

Wish I had something interesting to tell you.  I've been in there in the past, and it's just very quiet.  It's not quite as interesting inside as it looks from the outside.

A former coworker and I were working on a project, and we parked in the parking deck--on the top level.  We were late for an appointment back at the office so we sped out of the deck very quickly.  It was like a scene from a Mission Impossible movie. (sorry, that's the best I can do. LOL)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Jaime Hughes

I'm to young to remember this beautiful city the way it was back in the day. I'm only 18 years old, but when I hear all of your stories I can close my eyes and see what beauty Youngstown really was.

My question is, I've heard rumors about S.Side Hosp. being haunted? I wonder if anyone has some stories about this hospital? I love the cemetary (morbid I know..but FULL of history!!), and think that the hospital is beautiful, the details and that. For some reason I can see a lot when I drive past.

Does anyone have stories in general of the hospital? I want to walk around in there, but I have a feeling I'll get stopped quick! :P haha.

Thanks Everyone!