News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

No Gas Day - May 15

Started by jay, May 07, 2007, 09:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowner

Quote from: Towntalk on May 15, 2007, 10:03:47 AM
An Ethanol refinery is being build just outside my hometown over in Pennsylvania (Clearfield County) with the help of the State of Pennsylvania, and got the wholehearted support of the people in the county.

Why can't our leaders here think outside the box, and take a page out of what is happening elsewhere?

Mahoning County would be an ideal location for an Ethanol refinery transportation wise. We have the infrastructure ... we have the farms that can grow the quanity of corn needed, and certainly if our State reps would put their minds to it, we could get the State funding needed. Oh yes, amd we are within 75 miles of two major markets.

Here is a link to the info on the Ethanol plant going in a Clearfield Pa.

http://www.bioenergyllc.com/
Columbiana County is part of the Mahoning Valley.
Therefore, you will see an ethanol refinery built in the valley.

Towntalk

It's so very simple ... very few actually boycotted the gas stations, and those who bought gas were forced to pay for those who didn't.

I can't recall a single Boycott Gas that actually worked, and why? Because the gas stations know that when you start driving on fumes, you'll be back, and you'll pay through the nose and like it.

Instead of wasting so much time and effort on a hopeless cause why aren't you getting behind an effort to get an Ethanol refinery built here. It's not impossable as Clearfield, Pa. is proving?

I've even provided a link to the web site of the company that's building the refineries.

If we are so dense that we can't think outside the box, how can we expect our leaders to do it, or is it because we prefer to sit back and while in our beer?

northside lurker

Because I'm always an optimist, I'm thinking that they raised their prices to deter people from buying gas, and therefore were helping the boycott. (and if someone decided the wanted to buy gas anyway, they would make a nice profit)

Quote from: jay on May 16, 2007, 05:12:25 AM
I heard reports on the radio that some gas stations actually raised the price during the day to $3.29 per gallon.  If demand dropped due to the boycott, why did the price go up?  The price of gasoline should have dropped if the law of supply and demand really worked.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

I heard reports on the radio that some gas stations actually raised the price during the day to $3.29 per gallon.  If demand dropped due to the boycott, why did the price go up?  The price of gasoline should have dropped if the law of supply and demand really worked.

Towntalk

An Ethanol refinery is being build just outside my hometown over in Pennsylvania (Clearfield County) with the help of the State of Pennsylvania, and got the wholehearted support of the people in the county.

Why can't our leaders here think outside the box, and take a page out of what is happening elsewhere?

Mahoning County would be an ideal location for an Ethanol refinery transportation wise. We have the infrastructure ... we have the farms that can grow the quanity of corn needed, and certainly if our State reps would put their minds to it, we could get the State funding needed. Oh yes, amd we are within 75 miles of two major markets.

Here is a link to the info on the Ethanol plant going in a Clearfield Pa.

http://www.bioenergyllc.com/

ForumManager

CBS news focused on the gas crisis this AM.
It was all aimed a the oil refineries and their recent production "problems."
One reporter said it would be better to cut your consumption by one gallon per month as opposed to a gas out.
Another person spoke about  the topic of building new refineries. 
He said that communities don't want oil refineries to come to their area.
Would Youngstown shun  oil refineries considering the potential economic boost to the area?

jay

For what it's worth, I will join the gasoline boycott on Tuesday, May 15.

Mary

I disagree Rick. In the course of a day pay attention to how many gas stations you pass. By paying attention to what prices are you can save some money without going out of your way.  I don't buy gas at Speedway. But it does upset me that their prices are always the highest around.

Also if you really want to talk about free market lets talk about OPEC. That is not a free market system. Regardless of what anything thinks gas is not a free market. Demand does not truely drive the prices. OPEC decides what level of production will get them the most money. It was reported that several years ago OPEC decided that they were not making enough money and to combat that they massivly cut production and a price spike occured.

Also i watch the stocks on CNN on a daily basis. The price a barrel of oil has declined in the last few weeks yet the price at our stations in the valley has increased. Now I know that there are several repsonses that can be taken from this. One is that the price is in futures meaning this is the assumed price for the month of June. However if this was true then when oil went up several weeks ago our prices at the stations would not have gone up the very same day.
There have been many reports on how gas prices no longer behave as they did several years ago and the markets no longer are a good measure of the price of a gallon in the United States.

Rick Rowlands

What utter stupidity.  So instead of going to the gas station on Tuesday you will go on Wednesday and your weekly gas consumption will not change.  This accomplishes nothing but to show how you let emotions overrule intellect. 

If Speedway charges too much then go to another station.  Its called free market at work.   However be careful how far you go out of your way to avoid paying their prices.  At $3.00 per gallon a mile costs you 20 cents if your car gets 15 mpg or 15 cents if it gets 20 mpg.  So if you had to drive 1 mile out of your way to avoid the Speedway and assuming the other station was 3 cents cheaper you would have to buy 6.66 gallons to break even and your only savings would occur after buying that amount. I don't know about you but factoring in the value of my time it never pays to shop around for gas.

Mary

I totally agree. Speedway is driving me crazy. their prices are ALWAYS the highest.

ForumManager

I feel that a no gas at a specific company would hit harder.

Ted

Why aren't these no gas days done on a Thursday? That is the day of the week when gas prices spike.

jay

The gas boycott emails are being sent again.  This time it's called "Don't Pump Gas On May 15" day.
Participate if you wish.