News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Union Pushes for 7 Sick Days!

Started by Rick Rowlands, April 16, 2007, 09:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Government shouldn't have anything to do with sick days, but the union is pushing for a LAW that requires at least 7 per year.  My argument is that this decision is purely a private one between the employee and employer and should not involve the government at all.

Mr. Oldmill, you are confused.  You equate my opposition to a proposed law to opposition to any sick days at all.  No I am not against sick days.  I am also not against paid sick days if the employee and employer mutually agree to provide them without being forced to.  It should be a voluntary decision. I don't get paid sick days and am perfectly fine with that.  I don't feel that it is right to be paid for work I have not done.  Most people however hold the opposite view.  They want paid as much as possible regardless of work performed or not.

So you worked in railroad construction.  Yes I know how hard of work that can be.  I'm putting down 100 feet of track this spring by hand and nothing about it is easy.   I'm sure you had sick days, vacation and health benefits when you did it for a living.  Nothing wrong with that.  Your employer gave those benefits either by coercion by the union or because that was the best way to retain good workers. My point is that the government didn't have anything to do with the granting of your benefits, so why do we need them sticking their nose into it now?

Oldmill

Yes , It all boils down to greed . Why should the CEO get millions and the lowly worker get nothing ?  I would love to have sick days even 2, but i have to be happy with my vacation . You sir, have no compassion ! and really how does '
   talking about an ever expanding reach of the government to have more control over employment decisions have anything to do with sick days ?   I hope you dont gamble because you would lose . I've worked for over 30 years in railroad construction , enought to ruin both my shoulders and back . No sir, I cant work as good as a 20 something anymore but I am glad I have Union representation so I cant be chewed up and spit out .  No compassion .

jay

I know a man who started working for a company in England at the end of last summer.  He said that each employee gets 25 vacation days starting the very first year.  Now that's a good benefit!

Rick Rowlands

I'm not talking about corporate greed.  But I am talking about an ever expanding reach of the government to have more control over employment decisions.  I would think that you are greedy too Oldmill since you want to be paid for sickdays. Thats pure greed to want paid when you are home and not doing what it is you are paid to do.

I'll bet you believe that someone owes you a job.  I'll bet you believe that your job is truly YOURS and the employer should have no right to fire you and take that job away. 

BTW I am not in anyway connected to corporate greed.  I am an employee of a three man machine shop.  We wouldn't even be affected by this proposal but its still wrong.

Oldmill

People like you make me laugh !  Its ok for the corporate greed to amass million dollar fortunes. but give the lowly worker a bone and Oy Vey !!  They deserve nothing ! When your CEO's are reaping millions The poor piss ant worker shouldn't get a nickle.  The main reason why companies in the US are moving their operations overseas are pure greed . Get a life !

Rick Rowlands

Did anyone read the article in Sunday's Vindicator on page B5 about the SEIU's efforts to fore employers to grant 7 sick days a year?  Reading that article took me to a level of pissed off that I haven't seen in a while, and after I calmed down wrote the following letter to the editor.

Dear Editor,

I read with disgust the article in Sunday's Vindicator about the attempt of the Service Employees International Union to force legislation requiring companies with 25 or more employees to grant seven sick days a year.  The statement made by the Union that "Workers should not have to choose between a paycheck and recovery when they get sick" is a prime example of the Union mentality that a paycheck is an entitlement and not dependent upon work actually performed.

What is wrong with making that choice?  If you are not at your job doing your assigned tasks you are not upholding your end of the employee/employer agreement.  You are only entitled to pay for work that you do and nothing more.  If you are granted sick days by your employer that is considered an employment incentive, something that employer is offering you to sweeten the pot and help prospective employees decided to work for him instead of the company down the street.   

The bottom line is that the Democrats and labor unions want workers to get paid for work they have not done.  Its completely unfair to employers and gives employers yet another reason to choose locations other than Ohio to locate their plants in.

I can completely understand why companies in the US are moving their operations overseas when they are faced with illogical, irrational and punitive threats to their ability to earn a profit as evidenced in this proposal.  If you truly want to see the rest of our industrial base move offshore, please support the SEIU and their efforts. 

Rick Rowlands