News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Lanterman's Mill

Started by JoyceFarrell, April 07, 2018, 08:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why?Town

Here's my somewhat random story about the mill:

Every year the Boy Scouts spend the Saturday closest to Earth Day cleaning up the park. The Austintown troop my son was in about 6 years ago cleaned up the Virginia J Axtmann Nature Trail along the creek and then the road to get back to Pioneer Pavilion. They decided in order to help them earn a merit badge they would add some hiking to the day. I think a total of 5 miles was needed, so after the cleanup which covered about 1 mile, we followed trails until we hit Lantermans Mill. As they were taking a rest on the "front porch" the place opened for the day. We went in and were shown around which was pretty much the normal way things went there. But then we got to watch them start up the mill. They showed up how the water was directed towards the wheel and if I remember there were two "valves" to open to get it there. And luckily most of the group, and myself, were standing right by the wheel as the water started to come. It's really amazing. It only took maybe 20 to 30 seconds of filling before that wheel started turning and it was at full speed by the time it hit only 1/4 rotation. And the sound, I won't call noise, was incredible. The whole building went from quiet like a funeral home to a very low pitched constant rumbling sound and if I recall correctly it came with a slight vibration. Having been in that building both as it ran and not being ran on separate occasions I never would have noticed the difference but being there while it starts up is definitely something I suggest to everyone.

FWIW, my memory is nowhere as good as it should be due to a bad car accident I was in. I have trouble with a lot of things but I'm pretty sure I got at least 90% of this story correct.

I wish I would have taken the wife there to experience them starting it up today. We were out and about not doing too much after breakfast. Oh well, maybe next week.