News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Question to all that dine out

Started by Mary, March 27, 2007, 11:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leah

My family and I try to go out to eat together 2-4 times a month.  Here are some of them place we enjoy and why:

China Inn:  Reasonable prices.  Great food.  Huge variety of dishes available.  They serve each meal with a garnish, made from vegetables shaped like animals or flowers.  The kids love this and it gives the impression that they go the extra mile with their food.  Also, its the only resturant in Boardman where you don't have to wait to get a table.

Salsitas:  Some of the best Mexican food I've ever had. They also have a very large menu, all reasonably priced.  Huge portions.  You can't help but leave there with a to-go box.  For example, we ate there last week and ordered the Chef's special.  It was so huge it came out on two plates!  This worked out great.  I ate one plate and took one plate to work with me for lunch the next day.  All this for about $8.50.  In addition to their large menu they always offer at least 2 specials that are not on the menu.

Shangrila:  Just tried this one for the first time recently and plan to go back.  Though buffets are not my first choice for a nice evening out with my husband, buffets are great with kids.  The kids are exposed to a wide variety of foods and can try tons of new things all for one price.  Plus, if your kids are picky eaters, there are always things like pizza, wings, chicken strips, etc. that just about every kid will eat.  Another nice thing about the Shangrila is the sushi.  They had more variety of sushi than you normally see at a buffet.

Asuka:  The food and the atmosphere are wonderful here.  Though some of the dishes are a bit pricey, it's great for a special occasion and there are some reasonably priced items.

Old Precinct:  We don't eat here as a family, but I will occasionally get lunch there while I'm working.  I am really impressed by the fresh ingredients and the creativity and care involved in preparing each meal. 

In my opinion, the key to a great resturant is variety in the menu, reasonable prices and a clean, comfortable atmosphere that is both adult and family friendly.  Obviously service is pretty important too.  I won't mention names, but there is one locally owned resturant that has all of the qualities I mentioned, but the service is horrible.  On several occasions, I have been made to feel like I was inconveniencing the staff by wanting to eat there.  I've realized that the service is only getting worse and I will not go back.

A few posters reference different cooking shows to illustrate what kind of foods they would like to see available.  If I were opening a resturant, I'd look to Rachel Ray for inspiration.  Her dishes are always creative, but not so off the wall that someone who isn't very adventurous would be scared to try them.

Best of luck with your resturant plans.

Mary_Krupa

What is the valley lacking in your opinion for restaurant options?  Restaurants featuring fresh, unprocessed foods--organic and local.  Restaurants that are just as attractive on the outside as on the inside. That is, not in some ugly strip mall with no trees or atmosphere.

Do you find yourself going to chains? If so why?  Yes, for variety and for green salads and butter!

What are you main considerations when picking a place to dine? Menu selection, fresh brewed iced tea (not flavored), real butter, no iceberg lettuce.

What kind of menu and atmosphere do you like to see. Any kind of comfortable clean, cosy restaurant preferably with lots of natural lighting and, in the evening, area lighting that is soft and not garish.

Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

Towntalk

Since I'm not a vegetarian, I haven't given it much thought, but you're absolutely right Jay. There are a very wide range of dishes that are geared for vegetarians that are absolutely delicious and should be on the menu of our restaurants. It would be a good idea to have some of them on the menu.

jay

Just some short notes

I rarely dine at chain restaurants.
There are very few city restaurants that serve breakfast.
I don't like to dine with a live band or loud music in the backround.
All restaurants should be nonsmoking by now.
I prefer restaurants will adequate lighting both inside and out.
I know some vegetarians who claim their menu options are very limited in Youngstown.

P.S.  It is interesting that you asked this question today.  I have plans to dine out tonight with a few friends.

Towntalk

For my part, I would like to see an upscale restaurant that served foods like you see on "The Iron Chief". Looking over the menu's in "The User Friendly Phone Book" it seems that most of the restaurants already here serve the same foods that are aimed at working class folks, and at a price higher than it would cost to fix at home.

When I go out to dine, it is a special occasion, and I would like to see menu items that are equally special.

This doesn't mean that you would not have "working class" foods on the menu for those who aren't into "The French Chief" kinds of food, but lets see items right out of The Ritz Carlton as well.

By the way, The Galloping Gourmet put out a major cookbook a number of years ago that had many recipes that he served in his restaurant that were fantastic and could be modified to reduce the cost.

Mary

As many of you know we are looking into starting a restaurant. Between myself and my fiance we have 17 years in restaurants in postions ranging from server and dishwasher to head cook and office manager.
My question is this: What is the valley lacking in your opinion for restaurant options? Do you find yourself going to chains? If so why?  What are you main considerations when picking a place to dine? What kind of menu and atmosphere do you like to see.
We have opinions from others (and our own from experience) but I am interested in getting a broader base of information. If you would rather PM me thats fine. Thanks for any input from anyone!

Mary