News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

New Greater Youngstown/Mahoning Valley Message Board

Started by ytowner, March 26, 2007, 08:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowner

Quote from: ForumManager on May 11, 2007, 11:21:29 PM
What happened to the board?
It was shutdown due to problems with my server which I could not fix. I do plan to create a site similar to www.clevelandleader.com though.

ForumManager

ForumManager

In response to the first message.  the Vindy's board is not positive.

ForumManager

The Police / Fire feeds are definitely what makes us stand out --- thanks to Greg.

On the main site MV also has a directory of more than 1800 SEARCHABLE local links that still needs more sorting, a list of events from the community events calendar, weather from the National Weather Service with other weather links, classifieds and a free real estate posting service that allows all details of a property including several photos. The opportunity to submit articles for the front pages is a little used feature that hopefully will catch on as well as the restaurant menu section.  The Polls...well no new polls because no one seems to vote. Please feel free to submit a poll  you would liked added.  This forum offers polls too.
The Gallery isn't open for public posting since it has been spammed but anyone is welcome to ask for a log in to post pictures at any time.
You can send an ecard from the gallery. I considered adding blogs and I couldn't find a script I liked that allowed users to change the look and feel of their own pages. I searched high and low and found nice blogs but the ones with options to change the look were buggy. There are so many blog sites out there already and we are happy to link to your personal blog from the front page blog section .... just submit the link.  Use of the  Vindy's feed  has been requested many times and they do not respond...hence the Warren Tribune feeds on the front page. This site has been online since the mid nineties and is visited very often by both people and search engines.

One things about MV-

WE DON'T HAVE ADS.  We are happy to feature all local events and if a local business submits an article, it will be featured. Any venue is welcome to post their events on the calendar. Perhaps one day will have  section devoted to shopping but at this  there are no ads in the corners, top, sides or  bottom and no ads popping up.  There are no blocks that say....buy this ad. When i go to other local sites I am often inundated with ads even videos.  I realize it pays the bills but it can be irritating.  There were  a few rotating ads without revenue on the site when it was at ytownpc and that was ok, but I decided to avoid it for the newest  version.

This spring I plan to add  more featured links to the front page... sites that have streaming  radio, TV news sites and the best local newspaper sites. - the "to do" list gets longer and there is little time.

Thank you all for your continued support to our community forum. You are what gives this site its staying power.

yfdgricker

Make it stop, make it stop.

We now have http://www.forum.youngstownsource.com/ out there too.

Well at least this forum doesn't look like someone took the stock template and just threw their logo into it in a five minute rush job. Plus this site has live scanner audio. How's that for providing a service others don't!

ForumManager

I think if we moderated people wouldn't visit.
Instant gratification when  posting is essential.
I could never keep up with moderating.
I've been so crazy busy this month I haven't had a chance to read everything.
Good luck to you.

yfdgricker

Just out of curiosity, is this your third or fourth attempt to start up a forum? I've lost count.

How about this, instead of starting your own forums over and over again that just don't work out, how about trying to get people here to start and discuss topics on this one?

Like Rick said, there just isn't a demand out there for it.

But good luck anyways.

Janko

The libertarian in me is saying:

"let the market decide. the best ones will prosper, and others will die out."

Rick Rowlands

Oh no, not ANOTHER forum!  There has to be less than 100 people who participate in ALL the forums related to this area.  Why fragment it even more?  I won't be visiting the new forum.  Heck its hardly worth my time to come to this one. 

ytowner

This site is not to compete with this one. It's simply put, a board like vindy.com with moderators and people who want to be positive. We want to make posting a thought on the web something that everyone reads and considers and responds to thoroughly.

We don't want threats or any of that BS.
Come join today, the domain will be coming.

http://eguins.frihost.net/valleytalk/index.php