News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Bad News For City

Started by Towntalk, February 02, 2015, 06:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Well, us middle class hard working people don't want to live in a city where we can't build property value, stand a greater chance of being robbed, and can't count on many city services.  As long as the city rolls out the welcome mat for the parasites it will never recover.  The elephant in the room is all of the low income people who don't contribute to the community but destroy and procreate, and drive the rest of us away.    But they are the vaunted "poor" and "disadvantaged" that the rest of us are supposed to bend over backwards to help.  They are a permanent democrat voting bloc so that means they will remain that way forever.

Towntalk

Ponder this. At the rate we're losing population Youngstown, area wise will be the largest village in the county and half of our current streets will be devoid of human life. Just look at the city's demographics. The largest group in the city are senior citizens. Obviously people over 55 can't fill the jobs on YPD or YFD, so as more retire, where will the city get the people to fill the positions? Lets face it, the current crop of young people coming out of the city schools are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier, and those that are want nothing more than to get out of the city ASAP, and not look back.

jay

QuoteI would rather make the city worth wanting to live in.

What are your ideas?  How will they be funded?

AllanY2525

Well said, Rick.  it's like that movie "Field of Dreams"... if you [RE]build it, they will come.....

Rick Rowlands

Some people would want to force employees to live in the city.  I would rather make the city worth wanting to live in.

Towntalk

Well if DeWine has any say in the matter, our current Mayor will one day be just another slug in the slammer.

jay

The mayor had the opportunity to hire four city residents.  He did not.   :P

Towntalk

I don't dispute your opinion Jay, and I can agree with it, but the fact remains that the courts have ruled that city employees can not be forced to live inside the city. Technically, they don't even have to live in the state. A New Castle, Pa.  resident can get a city job as an example.

It is up to the state legislature to pass a law saying that people working at local government jobs must live inside the city, town or village they are working at, and I don't see that happening any time soon.

jay

This is why I feel it is so important for every city employee to live in the city.  We need every good resident we can get even if it's only three this time (police hires).