News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

7th Ward Citizens Coalition host Political Forum

Started by Peggy Gurney, September 23, 2014, 07:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

Quote from: Towntalk on September 23, 2014, 10:09:14 PM
When you get as old as I am, it's called being cantankerous, ie.  difficult or irritating to deal with.
lmdo

Towntalk

How would you have set the pro-con debate up so far as who it was that was speaking on the 5 ward issue?

jay

Regarding the SWCC Candidates Forum's redistricting charter amendment presentation

The choice of spokesperson for each side shows that the racial divide is already being framed.

AllanY2525

Well, there's always the public library - and the local media are free to download the
videon and audio from Youtube - and rebroadcast them as it would be un-copyrighted
material, in the public domain, and fall under fair-use.

Towntalk

Not all Youngstowners have computers, but most have TV's and everyone has a radio.

AllanY2525

I think it's great that the public is getting to see both sides of the arguments for the issues and that
each side's point  of view will be heard.  Democracy in action - and maybe it will get more people to
come out and vote.

Hope they will have enough speakers come forward to hear the pros and cons for all of the issues.

As far as recording the event, I couldn't agree more. ANYONE with a decent phone or tablet could
record this  event and post it to YouTube for free - and also embed the video into a Facebook page.

All it takes is  someone who is willing to bring their mobile device and do the recording.  Not difficult
at all in this day and age.  Beyond the willingness to do it and the time involved, it would cost nothing.

Peggy Gurney

Note than one of the topics is the redistricting and possible reduction of Youngstown's 7 wards - which the majority of the 7WCC members are in favor of.  ;)

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

When you get as old as I am, it's called being cantankerous, ie.  difficult or irritating to deal with.

iwasthere

those are fighting words, sister. i guess us southerners are always in need of fight to our blood pumping.

Towntalk

With their noses so high in the air that they would need to wear oxydgen masks, they wouldn't be caught "slumming" in our beloved 7th Ward.

iwasthere

i wish this event would be held in the seventh ward. i wonder, how many westsiders would come to the ss for a politcal event?

Towntalk

Wonderful. I just wish that this could be taped and shown later on one of the TV channels. OR televised on one of TimeWarners local channels. This will be the definitive political event of the year. A huge thanks to the 7th Ward Citizens Coalition for putting this forum together.

Peggy Gurney

The 7th Ward Citizens Coalition will conduct a candidates & issues forum on Wednesday, September 24th, in advance of the November general election.
The forum will be held at the D.D. & Velma Davis Center at Mill Creek Park's Fellows Riverside Garden and is set to begin promptly at 6:30 p.m.

Youngstown Mayor John McNally will lead off the event with his statement in support of a City Charter Amendment to merge the Community Development Agency and the Department of Economic Development. Other issues currently scheduled to be presented during the program include the redistricting charter amendment (Anita Davis speaking in opposition and Chris Travers speaking in support), the Citizens Bill of Rights ("anti-fracking") charter amendment (Jean Engle speaking in support with a speaker in opposition likely to be confirmed Wednesday), the Public Library of Youngstown & Mahoning County levy (library executive director Heidi Daniel speaking in support), and the Mahoning County sales tax issue (Audrey Tillis, Director of the Mahoning County Office of Management & Budget speaking in support).

As of this time, no speakers in opposition to the last two issues have come forward with a request to participate, but they are still urged to do so by emailing the 7WCC at info@7wcc.org by noon Wednesday to submit their interest and contact information. Ballot issues are entitled to one speaker in support and one speaker in opposition. Three minutes for a statement is granted to each side of an issue.
Candidates participating in the forum include Democrat Anthony Donofrio and Republican Carol Ann Robb (7th District Court of Appeals), Democrat Susan Maruca and independent candidate Robert Rusu (Mahoning County Probate Judge), Democrat Michael Sciortino and Republican Ralph Meachem (Mahoning County Auditor), and Anita Rios, the Green Party candidate for governor. Each candidate will be allotted ten minutes: two minutes for an opening statement, seven minutes in which to answer questions submitted in writing from the audience and posed by 7WCC president Atty. Patricia Dougan, and one minute for a closing statement.
~ Normal is overrated ~