News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Should The Downtown Farmers' Market Move Out?

Started by jay, July 24, 2013, 10:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Then what about West Front near the City Hall Annex?

jay

East Federal is too far away for the foot traffic of downtown Youngstown.  West Federal is where most of the people work or visit.

Towntalk

The Farmers Market is open for how many hours? How long to set up, and clean up? Is there somewhere on East Commerce that they could have their market?

jay

When the Italian festival starts on Thursday, the buses won't be able to get anywhere near the OH-WOW!

Billy Mumphrey

Instead of another parking lot where the recent theater was torn down, why not use that area for a small venue to house the market? Maybe even add some picnic
tables for folks to go there for lunch during the spring/summer/and fall months?

jay

The Farmers' Market used to be on the northwest corner of the Square next to Chase Bank.  That location was too sunny during the market's hours of operation.

Lyndz

i would hate to see the market leave. How about we look for another corner / area in central square if there is an issue with this location.

kenneyjoe330

HOW TRUE  :laugh:   HOW TRUE  ::)  and yet again HOW TRUE is THAT ???   ;D

iwasthere

this ytown government solution to everything spend money on study and ignore its findings.

jay

Quotewhy cannot they do it now? it only takes five minutes to unload and load the children.

That's too simple.  They would probably want to fund another study to tell them what to do.

iwasthere

Quote from: jay on July 24, 2013, 10:05:32 AM
I appears as though some do not like the Downtown Farmers' Market vehicles being parked near the market on Tuesdays.  When the farmers' cars and trucks park along Market Street on the Square, buses bringing children to the OH-WOW! Museum have to unload elsewhere.  Maybe we should just move the Farmers' Market to another side of town.

I feel a better solution would be for City Council to get rid of the cash cow parking meters in front of the OH-WOW! Museum and let the buses load and unload there.  Children would then only have to walk about twenty feet from the bus door to the front door of the OH-WOW!

why cannot they do it now? it only takes five minutes to unload and load the children.

Rick Rowlands

Maybe, just maybe there are too many people trying to cram too much stuff into too small of a space.  Youngstown isn't only downtown!  There has to be another spot in this town full of vacant lots that could accommodate a farmers market.

jay

Up until last year, the farmers were able to have a few free parking spaces in front of 20 Federal Place.  Once the cash cow parking meters were installed, that convenience ended.

joly1584

Why can't the farmer's market people unload there and park elsewhere?  It is a traffic hazard on Market Street in general having them parked there for as long as they are.   

To be honest I have never liked anyone loading and unloading on Market Street.  It is convenient for them, but it seems to be more of hazard since drivers don't seem to know how to yield right of way when going around delivery vehicles.

jay

I appears as though some do not like the Downtown Farmers' Market vehicles being parked near the market on Tuesdays.  When the farmers' cars and trucks park along Market Street on the Square, buses bringing children to the OH-WOW! Museum have to unload elsewhere.  Maybe we should just move the Farmers' Market to another side of town.

I feel a better solution would be for City Council to get rid of the cash cow parking meters in front of the OH-WOW! Museum and let the buses load and unload there.  Children would then only have to walk about twenty feet from the bus door to the front door of the OH-WOW!