News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Car Damages Downtown Utility Boxes

Started by jay, February 05, 2012, 06:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

A crew from CR Electric was repairing the damaged utility boxes today.

Towntalk

I'm sure that Ohio Edison will have the situation corrected soon. It's too bad that there aren't more businesses along West Federal with lit signs that could light the way.

I have some very early pictures of Federal Street from the late 1800's and back then they didn't have half the street lights they have today, and the lights back then were not as bright as we are use to today, yet that didn't stop folks from going downtown at light. In many ways folks today are spoiled silly and captives of all the negative publicity our city gets.

jay

It affected the lights lining the street and sidewalks along W. Federal.
The situation doesn't make downtown Youngstown look very inviting.

Towntalk

'Tis strange indeed that there wasn't anything on the news about it. Just how extensive was the outage? Were any of the buildings affected?

jay

All of the lighting along West Federal Street was knocked out.

Towntalk

jay

But did the driver walk over to the nearest bar for a drink to calm his nerves?

;D

Towntalk

That makes it all the stranger.

Remember when Don Hanni lept over a wall and crashed his car into the post office?

jay

I don't understand how this accident happened either.  The car did not hit the island at the end.  It came through the small fence from the south and bent the electric boxes toward the north.

Towntalk

Looks to me like it was a direct hit head on, but how could a car have done it without severe damage to the front end like a cracked motor block with the car going at a high speed, but given the amount of available space, how could the car have crashed into the meters. Note that they are all resting in the same direction indicating a head on collision.

Rushblvd

jay

I hope the car owner's insurance covers this claim.

jay

Overnight a car crashed into the island near the front of the DeYor Building. The surrounding fence and the utility boxes were destroyed.