News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Some thoughts on Corporations

Started by Dan Moadus, December 20, 2011, 10:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Moadus

It seems as though Corporations are increasingly being demonized, and I am at a loss to understand why people have such a bad impression of them.

A lot of people have the impression that through their lobbyists, they have free reign of the country, and I just don't see it that way. If corporations had such control, wouldn't you think that they would get rid of a lot of laws and regulations that they feel burden them?

The other thing that occurs to me, is that most of them are owned by us. Not me. I don't own any stock other than my incorporated body shop, but I know many people do invest in the stock market.

I always think about how one of the main planks of the communist platform is to for the means of production to be owned by the people. Seems to me that that goal has largely been met. Aren't most U.S. companies publicly owned by the people?

Now I understand that owning some stock in a company is a far cry from being able to control the actions of a company, but can not be denied that the American people own most of the companies in the country.

Even if people lack control, they still have a stake in the company and stand to benefit by them doing well.

Now, having worked for a about a half dozen or so large corporation I understand all the negatives surrounding them. I know that they strive to pay people the least while profiting the most, but other than not paying me what I want, they have no control over me like the government does.

Why are they portrayed as the "bad guys" when if anything, we should fear big government more?