News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Christmas display

Started by Towntalk, December 19, 2011, 11:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

I remember going downtown for the Christmas parade. In the late 50's early 60's.  I'm glad this years was a success.

And I'm glad that not everyone is so PC, Lowellville still has a manger scene at City Hall. I posted a picture in the outside city limits area.......
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

When you reach my age ... almost 3/4 of a century, nostalgia takes on a special meaning ... especially when it comes to holidays like Christmas, and even more so for those who have no one to share the holiday with. This is why I'll shut off the television, and spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day listening to Christmas music from my library and vintage radio Christmas programs recalling Christmas' of my youth.

When you reach my age, you too will feel the same way because it comes to all of us when we grow old, and it can't be escaped. Lets hope that you have someone to share it with, because there are many who have no one to share those special days with.

And by the way, your nostalgic memories will be quite different than those of my generation, just as mine are quite different than my parents and Grand Parents.

northside lurker

You'll always come up short, if you're competing with nostalgia...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Christmas 1950 was the first time I went downtown with my Mother to do Christmas shopping. On the North Island  on the Square was a Christmas Tree and Manger Scene and choirs from various churches took their turn singing carols. On Christmas week Strouss would change one of their Federal Street windows to a religious theme. The Salvation Army band would be posted outside the Wick Building playing carols, and the Volunteers of America would have a Santa on every corner. Several stores placed loudspeakers above the doors and played Christmas music, and no one objected except for a few of the stores around McKelveys who objected to the window display of Santa's workshop featuring a laughing Santa's constant laughing.

Today we have to be satisfied with a generic tree, some windows with generic window art and a few lights.

I did watch the video, and applaud those who brought some of the spirit of the season downtown, but it can't compare to the good old days.

northside lurker

No manger scene.  But there are other lighted decorations on the square.

Have you watched this video covering this year's parade/festival?  http://shoutyoungstown.blogspot.com/2011/12/video-of-todays-amazing-downtown.html

I believe there are some shots at the square, where you could see some of the other decorations that are there.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Aside from the Christmas Tree what other displays are there on the Square, or has the heathenistic ACLU squashed such things as a Manger Scene?