News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Protest Coming To Downtown Youngstown

Started by jay, October 07, 2011, 06:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

They had about 5 people there during the Laying of the Roses last Sunday. They can stay there forever for all most people care.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

jay

WYTV news reported that this protest in Youngstown will continue past election day.

irishbobcat

Yes, against the policies of neo-cons and big business lovers like yourself Sarge......

stay away from downtown......

sfc_oliver

Have they decided what they are protesting yet?

jay

Even with the cold weather, people are still gathered on Central Square.

sfc_oliver

I keep hearing about this and seeing the signs like we are the 99%.

No they aren't.

I am part of that 99%, and I think this whole thing has been carefully planned and executed by a faction of the far left. I could be wrong.

At any rate the top 50% of American wage earners are making over median wage. that is 47 to 53 thousand a year depending upon what source you use.  My bet is that most people in that wage bracket are laughing at these fools because they are comfortable and happy and earn their money from those evil corporations.

Towntalk

Ask Bill Youngman Organizer of Occupy Youngstown or Jacob Harver of the Lemon Grove Café .

Why?Town

Quote from: Towntalk on October 10, 2011, 12:04:39 AM

Local organizers say its important the group's grass-roots message doesn't get lost in the many demonstrations taking place nationwide.

This seems to imply that the "message" in Youngstown differs from that of protests in other cities. If so, why would the organizers jump on the "occupy <insert city here>" bandwagon?

Towntalk

UPDATE

The Occupy Wall Street inspired movements continue to spring up in smaller cities across the country.

A local group is planning a rally here in Youngstown, Saturday October 15th.

Members of Occupy Youngstown met Sunday night behind closed doors at The Lemon Grove Café to finalize their plans for the event.

Local organizers say its important the group's grass-roots message doesn't get lost in the many demonstrations taking place nationwide.

"There have been a number of statements that we have made to the local press regarding the message, there've also been a number of very specific releases made to the national press, on a national level, if you watch the recent Keith Olbermann piece, it's pretty straight forward.", explained Bill Youngman, Organizer of Occupy Youngstown.

Protests started a few weeks ago on Wall Street with people carrying signs, and speaking out against corporate greed that hurts the working middle class.

Locally, the group plans to gather at noon Saturday at the corner or Market and Federal streets in downtown Youngstown. They say they'll be there until change happens.

SOURCE: WKBN 27 News

jay

With all of the apathy in this city, I would be surprised if much of a crowd shows up.

irishbobcat

how folks can continue to kiss big business behinds while they screw Middle America is beyond me.....

northside lurker

Quote from: sfc_oliver on October 07, 2011, 10:15:32 AM
One can only wonder what would happen if those evil corporations were to simply close down for a month.........

There were probably people saying the same thing about Standard Oil, 100 years ago.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

sfc_oliver

One can only wonder what would happen if those evil corporations were to simply close down for a month.........

Towntalk

Wall Street Protests Come to Youngstown

The national movement against corporate America and greed is moving closer to Youngstown.  About 200 protesters gathered in Cleveland Thursday and a group in Youngstown is gearing up for its own rally.

Protesters with signs and chants are sweeping across the country. A demonstration Thursday in Cleveland Willard Park put Wall Street in the spot light.

The protests that started in the Big Apple near the financial district blame Wall Street, the banks and big business for current problems with the economy. Problems that hit close to home.

"This is about the 99 percent of people out there who work hard, who work for their fair share in life, but we've allowed our economy to be wrecked and the people who have wrecked it got golden parachutes," said Jacob Harver with Occupy Youngstown.

Harver is part of the Occupy Youngstown group and he also owns the Lemon Grove Café.  He is taking part in the protest as an individual.  The plan is to demonstrate October 15th in downtown Youngstown. 

The group shares similar objectives as protesters in other parts of the country.

"I think Youngstown is really the poster child of what a reckless national economy and de-industrialization means to people here on the ground," Harver said.

Harver said a top leader from Ohio's ACLU will be on hand for the peaceful demonstration. The group says it's time for exploitive practices to end and they're also urging people to reject Senate Bill 5.

One protester in Cleveland said if change doesn't happen soon, she'll be carrying a sign with a different message.

"Well, figure if I'm not holding this sign now, I figure the next on will be 'Will work for food' of a street corner somewhere," said protester Susan Shueler.

Harver said the Youngstown protest will also highlight successes in the area thanks to grass-roots community action. 

WKBN 27 News

jay

According to the local news media, the protests taking place on Wall Street are coming to downtown Youngstown on Saturday, October 15.  Hundreds of people will probably attend.

I hope some downtown restaurants stay open on Saturday to accomodate the crowd. ;D