News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Avalon Gardens Closes

Started by jay, January 24, 2012, 11:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

There are plenty of restaurants up in Liberty, only a few blocks north of the Avalon. We ate at a new restaurant last night that is where Armando's used to be.  Souther cuisine.  Very good food.

I don't get too hung up on boundary lines like some on this forum do.  I get this Youngstowncentric vibe, as if those of us who do not live within the city limits of Youngstown, or more specifically downtown, are somehow not worthy.   There is more to this valley than just the city.

Towntalk

Jay: Have you ever dined at the Golden Dawn? This restraunt has been in the same location as it was when it first opened and the food is very good. Italian.

iwasthere

Quote from: Rushblvd on January 24, 2012, 04:00:45 PM

The Avalon was a great restaurant at one time- The problem became the turn-over of  owners--The loss of a liquor licenses for a while (owner didn't pay the taxes) and the crime in the area. The owners would not invest in security for the parking lots so that was a big deterrent in people eating there. I can tell you they lost a tremendous amount of business from the hospitals and much of that was due to security and the service inside the restaurant...I for one will establish any locally owned restaurant as long as the food is good-service is good-and you feel safe being there. ..
rushgal have you tried the new restaurant at the former, "Oven" in the uptown district?

Rushblvd

The Avalon was a great restaurant at one time- The problem became the turn-over of  owners--The loss of a liquor licenses for a while (owner didn't pay the taxes) and the crime in the area. The owners would not invest in security for the parking lots so that was a big deterrent in people eating there. I can tell you they lost a tremendous amount of business from the hospitals and much of that was due to security and the service inside the restaurant...I for one will establish any locally owned restaurant as long as the food is good-service is good-and you feel safe being there. ..

jay

Avalon Gardens, a long-time north side restaurant, has closed.

There are not many restaurants on the north side.  If northsiders won't support their own neighborhood bussinesses, who will?