News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Avalon Gardens Closes

Started by jay, January 24, 2012, 11:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

The contents of the Avalon Gardens were sold today at auction.

Youngstownshrimp

I think someone from this forum needs to open a business, then this thread might have some meaning.

northside lurker

Retail is a funny thing.  You can open an eatery just about anywhere.  But even downtown Cleveland, with about 15,000 residents, has a shortage of retail.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Yes, just downtown ... admittedly and proudly I might add, I do most of my shopping in Liberty for stuff like clothing, most of my groceries, and even my banking, and as for eating out, I prefer my own cooking thank you ever so much. I do some of my shopping at the little store across the street from me and at the Union Square Save-A-Lot, but that's just about as far as shopping in Youngstown is concerned.

Now if there were more stores downtown, I would shop there when the need occassions it.

Peggy Gurney

Are you just talking abour downtown or all of Youngstown? 

For downtown, I agree.   But all of Youngstown, there are plenty of places to get prescriptions filled or shop for clothes.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

That's all we need ... ANOTHER TROFT TO STICK OUR SNOUTS IN, yet try to get a prescription filled, a pair of shoes or some decent cloths you'll have to go to Liberty or Boardman. Dine Youngstown ... Phooey!

Peggy Gurney

From what I've read on FB, the construction is going on in what used to be Club Exclusive. 
Here's the thread on FB - https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150673222917945&id=530682944
~ Normal is overrated ~

jay

Will the restaurant be in a totally new location or will it be in one of the closed eateries?

Peggy Gurney

There was a post on Facebook yesterday that the pizza chef from the Avalon will be the chef of a new restaurant downtown.
yummm...

~ Normal is overrated ~

iwasthere

it is said that the golden dawn is the ursuline alumni and people who studied physics is their hangout. geo mckelvey has breakfast there on a regular basis. the prices are very reasonable for a large family to dine there without breaking their bank acct.

jay

I've dined at the Golden Dawn many times in recent months.  The white shirt and tie bartenders add to the atmosphere.

QuoteJay: Have you ever dined at the Golden Dawn? This restraunt has been in the same location as it was when it first opened and the food is very good. Italian.

Rick Rowlands

Again, boundaries aren't as important.  My list of favorite restaurants include:

MVR Youngstown
Salvatore's Howland
Niccolini's Boardman and Austintown
Naple's Steubenville
Nonni's Liberty
Emerald Diner Hubbard

Its all about the food, not the town.

Towntalk

As you can see, the closing of the restaurant had nothing to do with Youngstown's and particularly North Siders not dining there and EVERYTHING to do with the missing owner.

Towntalk

THE REST OF THE STORY

A Youngstown restaurant is closed after its owner went missing over four months ago.

Jim Donofrio's family last saw him in September when he left home for Avalon Gardens, his restaurant on the North Side of Youngstown. On Monday evening, the building sat dark and vacant when they were supposed to be open for business.

We called the phone number listed, but there was no answer. A message left on a relative's voice mail was not returned. However, a posting on the restaurant's facebook page contained the following message: 

"The revival of Avalon Gardens was a dream of Jim Donofrio's starting in the beginning of 2011 when he purchased it. Unfortunately, he was not given the chance to make that dream come true. Jim always wanted to give back to Youngstown, the city he grew up in. He truly believed 'The Av' was a perfect place to start. On September 25th, 2011 Jim went missing and his car was found under the Market St Bridge in Youngstown. As of today Jim is still missing. On Saturday, January 21st the Donofrio Family had no other choice but to close the doors of The Av for good. It was a difficult decision, but the most important effort right now is finding Jim."

Since Donofrio disappeared, the FBI has joined the investigation, and are working with local police on finding any new clues or leads.

iwasthere

rr there isn't thing wrong being a cheerleader for your hometown. my parents instilled hometown pride in all their children when it comes to supporting ht businesses. rr would you choose a lib rest over hubbard rest?