News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Rayen Stadium

Started by jay, October 20, 2011, 05:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rushblvd

sfc_oliver

I think I remember them......... Hard to say, I wasn't interested in what other people were doing at the time. You know those teenage years.............
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Do you remember the husband and wife team that sold hot roasted peanuts from their peanut cart at Rayen stadium? They were a great old couple. In later years after her husband passed away she would take her cart downtown to the Square and sell peanuts to passers by, and did a pretty good business, and all the folks that remembered her from the football games would buy a bag from her and remanise over some of the great games at Rayen stadium.

sfc_oliver

As a teenager I would work "hustling" in the stands at South High School on Friday nights, work the clean up on Saturday morning. Then walk over to Rayen to work the Saturday night game there and sleep in the stadium overnight to clean up on Sunday Morning.
(Though Dad would always pick us up on Sunday for a quick trip home for showers before church service.)

And yes those kids in the stands selling the popcorn and Fries and what ever called themselves hustlers....... Best night I ever had was a cold rainy night at Rayen when the owner decided to send me out with hot coffee.....

I'll send them a little donation just for the memories.........
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

UPDATE on stadium project.

www.rayenstadium.org

our2cents

Towntalk

Central location with plenty of parking. Good idea.  :laugh: ;D :laugh:

our2cents

Quote from: jay on October 20, 2011, 10:06:15 AM
Stambaugh Stadium at YSU is the home field for

YSU, Mooney High School, and Ursuline High School

I wouldn't see a problem with them expanding to more schools.  If the building is there, use it to it's complete capacity is our take on it.  Don't find another place to waste money.  If people really want to spend the $, use that money for those teams to compete in a safe environment with plenty of space for spectators.

Towntalk

The old Rayen stadium was used for all outdoor sports activities in its day.

Towntalk

Rayen alumni folks where are you and for that matter folks from Chaney, or even the Cafaro's and York's. between all these folks the $3 million could be raised easily.

jay

Stambaugh Stadium at YSU is the home field for

YSU, Mooney High School, and Ursuline High School

jay

QuoteIf, and I say if, the money comes from private sources, and not tax dollars, then great.

I agree.

Towntalk

"The only city high school is on the east side."

NOT TRUE ... sure, its the only one that has an athletic program, but its not "the only city high school" in Youngstown. Chaney boys can and do play for the East team.

Towntalk

If, and I say if, the money comes from private sources, and not tax dollars, then great.

jay

The only city high school is on the east side.
(The only city of Youngstown public high school with a football team is on the east side)

A football team usually averages 5 home games per season.

Suggestion

Use a suburban school's football field.

If scheduled properly, six schools could potentially use the same field.  There could be games every Friday night, Saturday afternoon and every Saturday evening during football season.