News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Memories

Started by kitten44505, May 10, 2005, 07:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrea

My mother went to Rayen in the 40's, and she said that in classes of close to 70 or more students people learned, and were not pampered the way they are now.. my classes at McKinley on the North Side averaged 40 kids in the 70's...and WE WALKED!!!!! only a few kids were given "rides", other than the kids from Hubbard who were bussed....and the bus service was somewhat reliable as well...

kitten44505

For those interested in Youngstown's history, I commend to your attention to the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps that are available at the Public Library's web site. They have maps from 1897 to about 1924. I myself have been building a library of details from these maps.

For example I have a set of details showing no fewer than 37 schools in Youngstown between 1897 and 1907 with the largest number being on the North Side and the fewest on the East Side and West Side.

At that time there was only one Public High School -- Rayen, which meant that students from all over the city had to make it to school the best way they could.

There were street cars, and of course the good old fashion horse and buggy.

Our forefathers sure put the students today to shame in order to get their education. But then they were also the people who made Youngstown the great city it was.

Alas, there are precious few today who will ever acheve the greatness of their forefathers, but then what can you expect from schools that pamper students.