News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Caleb B. Wick home

Started by Towntalk, November 10, 2011, 08:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

When John Young laid out the plats, West Federal and Hazel was the west end boundry, and while there were a couple of homes in the Spring Commons area anything west of the original 100 plats that made up Young's village was 'out in the country.'

northside lurker

Interesting.  It looks like the house was built facing the river, (assuming that's W. Federal in the foreground) instead of on the street grid that's there now.  I wonder if the house was built before the grid was established, or if they just ignored it?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

:) Yes the picture I posted was Wick's first home that was located at the corner of West Federal and Hazel Street. It was replaced by the Excelsior Building and later the Liberty Theater. That Federal Street home dated back to the very early 1800's.

northside lurker

So, is the pic posted by Towntalk the first house, on W. Federal?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

AllanY2525

Colonel Caleb B. Wick's original homestead stood on West Federal Street, on the
site where the ruins of the Paramount/Liberty theater now stand.  His back yard had
fruit orchards.

As the houses on Federal Street were being replaced by the growing downtown business
district, he later "Removed" to a new homestead on Wick Avenue.. pictured in the
drawing shown below...this mansion was his home for the remainder of his
life.

I think I remember reading that he died on December 25, 1893, after having
been in poor health for several years.

Towntalk

Nope, J. G. Butler wasn't even living in Youngstown when this picture was taken, in fact he was just a child then if not just a twinkle in his family's eyes.

sfc_oliver

I believe that it was located on Wick Ave, and that today the Butler Art Institute stands there.

But I could be wrong.............
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

I gave you the name of the home owner, now you tell me where it was located and what is there today? The answer to where it was located will tell you what's there today, so I'll expect you to answer  both parts.