News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Theatrical Events Quiz

Started by Towntalk, August 15, 2011, 11:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Answer

Towntalk

Clue? You need a clue? I'll give you a dilly of a clue ... this clue is so obvious that I might just as well give you the answer.

Errrrr...what was the question? Oh yes, you need a clue ... or what time is it on East Federal Street? Can you repeat the question please and thank you so much.

Oh yes, a clue you want. The clue is in all this sillyness, and if you find it, you're a champion.

Towntalk

Throughout its history, the Strand did have occasional live shows, but they were few and far between, and were for the most part country music shows which required no sets. In the 1960s it became a Burlesque house and adult movies until a labor dispute caused it to close for good.

Since the theater could seat only under 800 total, and had a small stage with no fly and what dressing facilities it has were small and inadequate it couldn't compete with the larger theaters ... not even the Princess which while only seating about 1000 was built for live stage productions and was the only Youngstown theater that could present shows requiring an on stage swimming pool which could be raised from beneath the stage and was a clear tank.

Towntalk

The Strand was indeed on the SE corner of the Square but it wasn't the Strand, nor was it the Palace.

When the Strand was built, it was built by the same folks that built the Tod Hotel that we are all familiar with.

kenneyjoe330

I would think the most logical theater would be "The Place" but I am going to say "The Strand" (is that spelling correct?).  Wasn't the entrance to the Strand in the Southeast Corner of The Square and right next door to the Hotel ! ! !

Towntalk

The year was 1940 and Youngstown was treated to stage plays staring some of America's great actors and actresses of the silver screen in live performances.

Talluah Bankhead in "The Little Foxes" – September 21, 1940

And

Katherine Hepburn, Joseph Cotton and Van Heflin in "The Philidelphia Story" – November 12, 1940

Both plays were sponsored by The Theater Guild

QUESTION: At what local theater were these plays staged?